Lucy Stanfield: On Corsica

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Our resident Travel Guru tells us all about Corsica.

As the days get shorter, colder and wetter, and lecturers begin to subtly mention the presence of actual work, the percentage of time taken up with daydreaming about golden sands, blue skies and places where you can go outside in a T-shirt without risking hypothermia increases. This week the Mediterranean island of Corsica seems like an ideal place to get away from the inevitable onset of deadlines. Only a two hour flight from the UK, Corsica is currently enjoying 10 hours of sunlight a day and temperatures of up to 28 degrees Celsius. Yes, 28 degrees. I think I can just about remember what that feels like…

The island is both mountainous and offers some of the most idyllic and quiet beaches in Europe, so whether you’re a bit of an adventurer or simply want to lie on a beach with a cheeky cocktail, Corsica is ideal. As for nightlife it can be pretty sleepy, but hey, not everywhere can have a Lizard. The island is part of French territory so brushing up on the language of love is a perfect excuse to jet off (as if you needed one). Not to mention that Corsica is the birthplace of Napoleon Bonaparte, so you’ll even get cultured whilst sipping on a Tequila Sunrise.

One way ticket anyone?

Hannah is a 4th year student of English Literature and Art History at the University of St Andrews.