Life beyond the Bubble – Liga Semane

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

By: Maria Dalton

Since returning to St. Andrews, talk of dissertations, references, internships and the most dreaded conversation, of all, ‘life in the ‘real world’ have dominated discussions. They, along with the ticking of the clock on the top of St. Salvator’s Chapel, serve as a reminder that in just about a year and a half, my bubble will burst, and I, along with the rest of my peers will be entering the ‘grown up’ world. Whether you’re a first year or a fourth year, have absolutely no idea what to do with your life, or have had your future planned since you were ten, the idea of leaving this cozy little town on the east coast of Scotland and moving to a town or city which possibly has more than three main streets (!!!) can be daunting. To give you an extra bit of reassurance, direction, and motivation the next time you have the all important ‘real world’ discussion or fill in an internship application, Her Campus decided to interview some recent St. Andrews graduates to find out about their life beyond the bubble. Luckily for us, we have managed to find a wealth of graduates who are only too happy to pass on their pearls of wisdom.

First up is 24-year-old Liga Semane. The lovely Liga from Riga (she actually IS from Riga, Latvia!) graduated from St. Andrews in 2011 with an MA(hons) International Relations degree.  During her time at St. Andrews she was an active participator in University life, especially within women’s basketball, where she presided as president of the club in her fourth year. Since then, Liga has been pursuing a masters degree in European Affairs at Sciences-Po in Paris and now has some exciting opportunities coming up with an internship in the European Commission starting in March.

Liga has always had a passion for International Relations, as evidenced by her impressive and enviable resume which involved summer internships at UNESCO in Paris, working in the division of Freedom of Expression in the Communication and Information Department, and her time interning  (for two summers in a row!) at the Latvian Permanent Mission in New York, an experience which allowed Liga to explore the workings of the United Nations ‘both in one of its bodies in the secretariat and on the other hand, from a member states perspective.’ It also gave her the opportunity to spend time in two of her favourite cities. As Liga is now preparing to move to Brussels for her internship, a typical day for her involves her ‘favorite activity, looking for flats.’  However, Liga explains that ‘as of the fifth of March, I am entering the 9 to whatever hour needed universe for six months so I guess I should not complain about the ability to apartment hunt still in my pajamas at 11 in the morning.’

Although many people find the idea of applying to graduate school a stress feast, Liga found that her biggest struggle wasn’t with masters applications. For Liga, the hardest thing was the move to Paris, ‘finding a flat and dealing with the oh so helpful and easy to understand French bureaucracy.’

When asked of her fondest memory of St. Andrews, Liga answered ‘It would have to be sitting on our kitchen floor in 1 Alfred Place and discussing whatever night out was before, whatever guy we creeped on in Tesco or the library, what we were going to eat later (usually deciding on fajitas or take out from Maisha). It was the friendships that I made and still hold today, though the conversations take place on Whatsapp rather than on fake tiles marked with shi sha coal burn marks.’ She also remembers Oktoberfest with particular affection, stating that

this would have to be her all time favourite St. Andrews event. ‘I only went in my last year but I recommend it for everyone. Before we went to the actual event we had a bunch of people, mostly Germans over, and were lucky enough to eat a German roast, dance and try to sing along to the slager songs. The sun was out and when we went to take the busses, there were guys singing on rooftops and leiderhosen and drindles filled the streets, and this was only the pre-festivities.   What happened at Octoberfest… was much dancing and drinking from what I recall.’

Despite her struggles with apartment hunting, Liga says that starting her masters program was ‘the best thing she could have done.’ When asked if she had any advice for students who are considering a career in European Affairs she answered ‘before applying to do European Affairs at Sciences-Po, I never thought I would work in this area or more precisely in what concerns the politics, the economics, the foreign affairs and overall life in the European Union. In Britain there is a marked Eurosceptic press but if you are looking for more specialization after your degree, as I was after international relations, working with EU issues right now and in the foreseeable future has the opportunity to make changes at a moment when the European construction is changing. In this light, I would research into job opportunities in Brussels or with the European institutions or, if you are thinking of a masters, looking to other European states for programs as well, many which are offered in English.’

Her Campus would like to thank Liga for her time and wish her all the best in her upcoming internship.

Check back soon for the our next interview and in the meantime, if you know any inspirational graduates who you think Her Campus should know about then be sure to let us know! 

Hannah is a 4th year student of English Literature and Art History at the University of St Andrews.