How to Survive Revision Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Today’s the first day of the exam period, which means exam season is officially upon us – here are some tips to help us get through the last stretch of revision until we’re home free. 

1. Remember to take breaks

I usually go with ten minutes every hour when revising (aside from occasional lapses into procrastination, which are inevitable). Taking frequent but short breaks during revision allows you to get out of your head and into a more relaxed mind-set for a while, so when you get back to your notes, it’ll be with a fresh perspective. Plus, the prospect of those short breaks provides energy during those revision lumps. Maintaining a steady exercise routine is also extremely helpful, as well as regular mealtimes. 

2. Don’t just read your notes 

It’s something to everyone brings up when it comes to revision, but just memorising information through reading doesn’t cut it (although it is a common staple of the season). Try making summary notes or working with a different medium like brainstorming or mind-maps – switching up study techniques makes for easy memorization. Writing things down gives you more time to think and analyse the material. 

3. Change Your Work Environment 

Definitely avoid studying on your bed, you won’t be able to resist napping or getting distracted on your computer. Studying properly at a desk or the library will help you stay focused on your material. When you’re stuck on memorisation, studying in unique places sometimes helps the information stick in your brain :)

4. Do practice papers

Practice papers can be intimidating, but doing some practice questions, even by just making simple outlines, can be a lifesaving study technique. You will become familiar with the type of questions that will be on the exams. There’s nothing more frightening than looking at an exam paper and realising you have no idea how to approach any of the topics, and practice papers are the solution to that.

Good luck guys!! We can do this!

Jenny Yau

St. Andrews

I'm Jenny Yau, 19 and from Hong Kong. Reading, writing poetry and watching tv are my main obsessions. I am sometimes mistaken for a hermit, but I'm friendly once you get to know me :p