How to Guide to Hosting an American Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

For most St Andrews students, the next holiday on everyone’s radar is Christmas. However, many forget that Thursday the 27th November marks an important holiday for students from the United States, Thanksgiving. It may seem odd that in the U.S we have a holiday to celebate a day in our history that does not paint the greatest image of Americans. However, today the tradition of Thanksgiving spans far beyond its early roots. For most, Thanksgiving is a day that represents family, feasting, and football (the American kind, sorry!). This one-day unites family from around the country in the spirit of love, gratitude and an endless hunger. Because it is such a special day, I encourage all of you to throw your own Thanksgiving. The day is fast approaching, so as a result, I have prepared for you a ‘How to guide to hosting an American Thanksgiving’.

Step 1: The Guest List

No matter how big or how small the guest list, the most important aspect of a Thanksgiving Day celebration is surrounding yourself with the people who are most special to you. Surround yourself with your St Andrean family, whether they are your lab partners, flat mates or your sports club.

Tasha’s tip: No true Thanksgiving day is without some entertainment familial drama (so the crazier the guests, the better).

Step 2: The Location

A Thanksgiving dinner can really be held anywhere, as long as you have enough seating for all your guests. They might not appreciate eating standing up!

Step 3: The Decorations

Unless you invite Martha Stewert to your Thanksgiving no one will really care if you have decorations or not. Honestly, what is a cornucopia anyway?

Tasha’s Tip: Decorations are not needed, but it is recommended to clean before your guests arrive as most people enjoy their turkey sans dust bunnies!

Step 4: The Food and Drinks

Warning: This is the most important step! The type of food you serve is not important. You do not need to have a turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoe ect. Have a morrocan themed Thanksgiving if you want! You can be as traditional or creative as you want but ask for help. With exams rapidly approaching no one has time to prepare an entire meal by themselves, so why not make it potluck? Ask each of your guests to bring a dish, but be sure to plan ahead so you do not end up that day with fifteen apple pies (although add some vanilla ice-cream and that sounds like a pretty great Thanksgiving to me!).

Step 5: The Fun!

Enjoy your day with your St Andews loved ones and do not forget to appreciate all that you are thankful for!