tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

As the work begins to pile up, the sky becomes dark around 5pm, and holidays are looming near, we all are finding ourselves with a slight case of homesickness. I started boarding school when I was thirteen, so I’ve become quite adept at handling my own homesickness and helping others cope with theirs. Thus, over the years I’ve developed a few tips and tricks on effectively dealing with homesickness––here they are:

1. Call Home

Get on the phone and call your mom, best friend, sibling, aunt, etc. Essentially, call anyone who will make you feel closer to home. Often homesickness can come from feelings of loneliness or discomfort. So, just talking to someone you know and love can be a short-term solution to that “all I want to do is go home” feeling.

2. GET BUSY

In terms of a long-term solution, getting busy is the best solution I’ve ever come across. Get involved in something you are passionate about. Go to that society meeting! Go sign up for that committee! Go join a sports team! Discovering things that not only fill your time but also get you involved in the community will definitely reduce your homesickness.

3. SPEND SOME TIME ALONE

It’s also extremely important to take some time for yourself. Living away from home means that you’re living in environments in which people always surround you whether that’s in your hall, in your lectures, or even in your flat. Even though spending time with others can be a nice way to combat homesickness, time to yourself is also really rejuvenating.

4. GET SOME FRESH AIRGoing for a walk or a jog can instantly improve your mood. The exercise and the fresh air naturally do wonders for both your mood and outlook.

5. MAKE YOUR OWN SPACE

Make sure your room feels warm and comforting by putting up photos from home; covering your bed with lots of blankets; and stocking your room with a couple of good books and lots of yummy yet healthy snacks. Basically, make your room a place for respite and relaxation. Because homesickness can also often occur as result of stress, make sure your room is the perfect place to decompress.

6. REMEMBER THAT IT’S TOTALLY NORMAL

I’ve lived away from home for five years now, and it never gets any easier saying goodbye to my parents. Understand that it’s normal (and good!) to be homesick, because it means you have wonderful things at home that are causing those feelings.  

Freya Liddell

St. Andrews

3rd Year History student at St Andrews