Happy Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

So we’re a little belated with this post but that’s what happens when you are on vacation for so long and then come down with the flu when you do come back to campus. But I digress – Happy Black History Month!! 

The fact that it is only a month (and the shortest month at that) is a bit insulting considering the vast roles Black Americans have played in contributing to the very founding and foundation of our nation, and that pathetic speech Trump made earlier this month only added insult to injury. Frederick Douglass is most disappointed with that man. 

There are several substantial ways to get involved and to properly honor this month the way it was intended. The most important thing is to learn to be an ally without steering away the conversation. I am not Black. I do not have their experiences and therefore, it is not my place to comment on them.

Apart from that, take the time to learn, learn, learn. Read about undervalued Black musicians, artists, scientists and inventors, like Katherine Johnson, who recently came to national attention in the amazing film, Hidden Figures. 

Watch movies, like the aforementioned film, that highlight their struggles and their triumphs. One amazing documentary that is a must see is 13th, which is centered around racial injustice in the US criminal justice system – an incredibly important and timely issue that needs more widespread attention.

If you happen to be in the US, go visit the new National Museum of African American History and Culture, which looks absolutely stunning. (I’m still waiting for tickets but hopefully will be able to have an insider’s view by Spring Break.) 

When the end of February rolls around, it is not time to go back to white-washing our history, but instead, make it a point to keep celebrating the past accomplishements of Black Americans while also supporting the ones of those alive today. 

And lastly, don’t confuse dead abolitionists for.. you know, I don’t know what Trump was thinking.   

Meena Nayagam

St. Andrews

I am an American medical student at the University of St Andrews, Scotland. I have been an avid writer for several years, focusing mainly on creative writing. But I hope to be more involved in our university's culture, particularly by bringing interesting information to all of our students!