Hannah Ward

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Name: Hannah Ward

Year: 3rd year

Home town: Huddersfield

Degree: Geography

Star Sign: Libra 

Hannah commences by revealing that her love of sea brought her up to St Andrews, and later elaborates  on her affection throughout the interview,  firstly in her academic studies, where her ‘oceans and climate’ course is her favourite geography module, and secondly jokingly (hmm) mentions that she wishes she was a pirate, because they are, apparently, ‘swashbuckling’.

This theme is continued in her extra-curricular activities, such as her pariticaption in the St Andrews Gilbert and Sullivan Society in which she cites her favourite Opera so far as Iolanthe mainly because it had pirates and fairies in it, but also because it was her first performance. She enjoys many aspects of the society, not only the sociability but also the performances and the trips, for example the trip to the Highlands last Christmas. You will be delighted to learn that you can next see Hannah perform  an extraveganza in conjunction with the Friends of Scottish Opera as well as professional soloists on Halloween, the 31st October (in case you have forgotten the date), at the St Andrews Town Hall at 19.30! 

Hannah is a dedicated and talented musician; she figures that she spends around 10 hours a week singing (and that’s not including practicing…). As well as Gilbert and Sullivan Society, she also has singing lessons and participates in two other choirs: the St Andrews Chorus and the St Leonards Choir. She enjoys singing as she finds it paradoxically both relaxing and challenging, and hence most likely rewarding.

Whilst not singing or staring out to sea (she is lucky enough to enjoy see views from her room), Hannah is enjoying her third year studies, despite the increase in reading. Apart from Oceans and Climate, she enjoys geography for the trips and excursions; she is currently in the highlands to look at the environmental management of the glen, one of her courses this semester – should we re-introduce the wolf? Another forthcoming expedition is to Iceland, which she is excited about because she ‘hasn’t seen a glacier before’ and ‘any one will do.’

Be sure to check out this cutie in the sure-to-be-wonderful Gilbert and Sullivan concert, and later in a plethora of carol services in the upcoming festive season!

Quick Fire Round:

Favourite night out? The cocktails at Westport.

What you like best about living in Scotland? Bagpipes – ‘they’re ace’.

Biggest fear? Bananas – of course.

Favourite place to eat out in St Andrews? The glass house – although only because Bella Italia closed.

Dream dinner party guests? J. k. Rowling, Ghandi, Anne Bonny (a pirate).

Most embarrassing song on your iTunes? There are so many, (giggling), the sixth lemony snicket book.

Dream travel destination? Peru/Bolivia – I loved the Tintin book about Peru.

Favourite place in St Andrews? East sands – (the geography student goes through never eat shredded wheat).

Who is your biggest celebrity crush? Jonny Depp.

Freya Liddell

St. Andrews

3rd Year History student at St Andrews