toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fun Halloween Movies if you aren’t a fan of horror

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Halloween is a fun time for everyone, with Jack O’Lanterns everywhere and people discussing ideas for Halloween costumes, whether it’s DIY or specially designed, Halloween is exciting for all of us. But when it comes to Halloween movies, things can get a little difficult for someone who hates horror films, and as one of those people, I thought this guide would helpful for those of us who prefer the non-horror version of Halloween :p

1. Hocus Pocus (1993)

A fan favorite Disney movie, Hocus Pocus tells the tale of Max, who moves to the famous town of Salem just before Halloween, and gets caught up in a wild adventure when he and his little sister accidentally bring a trio of witches back from the dead. The Sanderson witches are an absolute riot and who can resist a Halloween adventure involving a cursed black cat?  Not me!

2. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

A Christmas movie that technically works as a Halloween one, this Christmas-village version of Halloween with its iconic Halloweentown residents is too good to miss, especially with its beautiful stop-motion animation and the memorable songs :D There’s even a DisneySoc screening for it on Tuesday in School 5!

3. Coraline (2009)

A movie that tops my list of comfort movies, watching Coraline explore her new house and stumble upon an alternate world that at first seems too good to be true will never get old, and I just love that cranky black cat :)

4. The Addams Family (1991)

No one is gonna deny that the Addams Family is the perfect movie to watch on Halloween, with the whole family’s delightful comedic antics and the iconic Wednesday Addams, and if you’re in the mood for more, there’s always the 1993 sequel Addams Family Values or the original 1960s sitcom :D Plus, you’ve got to admit, Morticia and Gomez are #relationshipgoals.

5. The Witches (1990)

The Witches is of my favourite Roald Dahl books, and this film adaptation is delightfully creepy in the best way, with Angelica Houston being absolutely perfect in her role of the evil Grand High Witch, who turns the main character Luke into a mouse as he fights to stop her terrible plan.

Fun Halloween movies are for everyone, and don’t let anyone shame you for not liking horror movies – haters gonna hate :p

Jenny Yau

St. Andrews

I'm Jenny Yau, 19 and from Hong Kong. Reading, writing poetry and watching tv are my main obsessions. I am sometimes mistaken for a hermit, but I'm friendly once you get to know me :p