Five Ways to enjoy the sun in St Andrews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

After what feels like years of darkness, the sun has finally appeared in St Andrews and it looks like summer might be on its way! While it lasts (fingers crossed) and before exam panic kicks in, here are five ways to make the most out of the Scottish sun:

1)     Beach Walks

St Andrews is spoilt for choice with our three beautiful beaches. Do rock, paper, scissors and pick one (East, West or Castle) and take a walk with friends, or bring along your work or a book to pretend to read whilst really staring out to sea. Though it may be sunny, be warned it’s still pretty windy and studying outside is harder than it looks – remember to keep a hold of those notes! But, despite the wind, there’s really nothing better than the sand beneath your feet and the sun up above, so take a well-deserved library break and make the most of our gorgeous surroundings (before it’s too late and the rain comes back!).

2)     Ice cream

I am a strong believer that summer starts with the first outdoor ice cream and, with Jannettas having just been newly refurbished, there has never been a better time to get one. From ice creams to sorbets, and multiple toppings in-between, you can spend hours deciding on the perfect flavour…though don’t spend too long as the queues are long enough already! Forget that bikini body for a moment and enjoy – summer is incomplete without ice cream. If the queue is too long at Jannettas (make sure to get there early!) then try Luvians, Munch or even just grabbing some from Tesco and making your way to the beach!

3)     Picnics

Another food related suggestion – but sunny days really are the perfect time for picnics! Grab a blanket, some fruit, baguettes, crisps and drinks and make your way to one of our beautiful beaches, one of the many open spaces or my personal favourite, St Mary’s Quad. If a picnic sounds too ambitious, just bring whatever you have in the fridge and get some vitamin D! Sun = Happiness <3

4)     Outdoor activities

It’s time to take your favourite activities outside… Whether you’re reading a classic, writing the next great American novel, a gym bunny, a poker player, a dance party enthusiast – take your favourite activity outside! It’s about time to move your golf practice from the indoor driving range to the outdoor Himalayas, your swimming strokes from the leisure centre to the sea, your wine-drinking to a jug of Pimms in one of St Andrews many beautiful beer gardens (or check out the garden of Cottage Kitchen for a more daytime friendly alternative)! Take what you love outside and enjoy!

5)     Summer Clothes!

Reach into the dark recesses of your wardrobe and grab those summer clothes, you finally have a chance to wear them! I have been using mine as the base layer of my five-layer outfits for the past four months, but the time has come to strip off a layer (or three) and embrace the summer sun! If you were more realistic and left your summer clothes at home then even better, some shopping is on the menu…

Enjoy the sun!

Freya Liddell

St. Andrews

3rd Year History student at St Andrews