Five Songs to Add to Your Autumn Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

If you’re like me, you are obsessed with making playlists to set the backdrop of any life event. From studying to working out, I have well over 10 playlists, filled with songs of all genres. Most recently, I’ve found myself craving more autumnal songs, ones with a more somber tune and haunting lyrics, songs that will make you feel the coming chill in your bones and capture that lingering crisp scent. In light of this, here are my top five song suggestions, perfect to fit this mood.

1. “It Will Come Back,” Hozier

This is probably one of the sexiest songs I have ever heard. Packed with truly intoxicating instrumentation and even better lyrics, this is a must to get into that dark autumn mindset. You should also go ahead and listen to the rest of his album because, my God, everything this man sings is beautiful. And perfect for this season :) 

2. “Kill of the Night,” Gin Wigmore

This is another lyrically powerful song but it will have you feeling like a wolf, ready to howl at the full moon in the cool October night. 

3. “She Burns,” Foy Vance

Vance has such a powerful way with words, and this Irish singer has one of the most beautiful voices I’ve ever heard to match. Nothing makes me feel like cozying up in front of a fireplace, inspired and content, like this song. 

4. “Old Pine,” Ben Howard

I love most songs by Howard (seriously, go check out his albums, The man is a genius!) but this one just screams Autumn to me like no other. It really captures the lightness of this season and you can practically smell the evergreen trees when listening to him. 

5. “Fossa,” Daughter

Another favourite band of mine – they have released two amazing albums and several EPs, and all are filled with amazing and truly riveting songs. This one happens to be my favorite off of their newest album, “Not to Disappear.” It makes you long for that one that got away, but it also makes you feel so warm inside and gives you a cathartic feeling at the end. 

SaveSave

SaveSaveSaveSave

Meena Nayagam

St. Andrews

I am an American medical student at the University of St Andrews, Scotland. I have been an avid writer for several years, focusing mainly on creative writing. But I hope to be more involved in our university's culture, particularly by bringing interesting information to all of our students!