This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

You planned out your outfit meticulously- it appears to be ON POINT. Yet, when you stand in front of the mirror, something seems to be missing. That’s where the essential “extras” come into play; they can be easily overlooked but truly act as the cherry on top of a sundae for an outfit!

1. Dainty necklace

This allows for so much versatility as you can easily layer one over another, and with options ranging from your initials to a cute catch phrase and everything in between, you’ll never struggle to find one that completes your ensemble.

2. Sunglasses

Yes, it seems almost like a given to say that sunglasses are an essential, but because they are always associated with the beach and the sunny weather of summer, you can easily forgot that they work just as perfectly in the fall with your quilted jacket and riding boots and in the spring with your trench coat and flats.

3.  Nail polish

Given that OPI has over 450 colors available and that’s only one of a million nail polish brands, it’s safe to assume there will always be a color out there for you and you outfit of the day. Top choices right now are: dark metallics, bold and bright primary colors, and nudes.

4. Scarf

It’s truly the perfect accessory since it plays double duty in ensuring you stay warm while remaining fashionable. Silk remains an elegant and timeless choice, but wool and cashmere are just as fabulous as well. Choose a fun print to complement a simple outfit or a solid color to offset a patterned outfit.

5. Statement earrings

I know, we’ve all heard lots and lots about the statement necklace. But what about statement earrings?! They’re just as fantastic if not better as they are the perfect substitution for a statement necklace when your neckline is just NOT vibing with your necklace options.

Evan Grogan

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan is a senior at the College of the Holy Cross who is studying abroad for the year at the University of St Andrews. She is an English and Art History double major and eventually hopes to attend graduate school for journalism and write for The New York Times. When Evan is not busy with school and writing for both Holy Cross' newspaper and Her Campus, she loves to read; go for runs; and spend time with her friends. She is obsessed with the color navy, rainbow sprinkles, and anything involving glitter. 
Freya Liddell

St. Andrews

3rd Year History student at St Andrews