11 unexpected items that will make your university experience 1000 times better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

1. Two sets of duvet covers – If you dread the weekly (more like tri-weekly) wash then two sets of duvet covers act as your savior. In the likely event of you not wanting to wash and replace your sheets in one day, one cover can be kept aside to wash another day. 

2. Hip flask – Alcoholic but cheap? I got your back. As with the two sets of duvet covers, the key to this list is practicality. Think you’ll never stoop to a level of buying a coke at the bar and making it Irish in the bathroom? Think again.

3. Dishwasher tool – Yeh I know, you probably scoffed at this one. The thing is, I managed to lose mine for 3 weeks (how does one lose this is hear you ask…? Honestly i’d like to hear your suggestions) and it resulted in 3 weeks of some kind of competitive Tetris style dish piling in the sink. Whilst this was fun for a while, I stepped up as the hero I am (by buying a new one) to carry my flat mates back into civilized society.

4. Fairy lights – Light up your life. Everything in your room instantly becomes more homely with this simple addition. Kinda cliché but kinda for a reason.

5. Printer St Andrews in particular charges you to print so it may well be worth your while to invest in a printer. Although this sounds like an expensive possession there are printers going for £30 or less and prevent a dash across town to the nearest printer when you’ve forgotten to print an assignment.

6. Diffuser – With the danger of looking like a snob by listing this item as an essential I hasten to add that my room smelt like feet until I got one. Unless your accommodation is brand spanking new… I would put this high up your list of items to bring. Primark do amazing smelling ones for only £3!

7. Blanket (on top of the duvet) – For those chilly nights.

8. Diary – With your newfound freedom comes responsibility. Whilst you may initially rejoice in the absence of weekly organisers stamped with your school logo. You will come to mourn their absence instead and admit that; yeh, those teachers were onto something.

9. Framed pictures – Don’t forget your pre-uni life! When times are getting you down it can be nice to be surrounded by those faces you know and love.

10. Soft toys – Admittedly, this one is not for everyone. But if you’re going into uni with the ‘I’m far too old for this’ mentality when selecting items to bring, then you’re missing out. And to please who?! In the absence of a booty call this age-old comfort tool does the job.

11. Storage boxes – Who knew you had so many things to store before you got here? Not me. Also, it’s always good when your room doesn’t look like a blossoming landfill sight.

Kirsten Scott

St. Andrews

Meena Nayagam

St. Andrews

I am an American medical student at the University of St Andrews, Scotland. I have been an avid writer for several years, focusing mainly on creative writing. But I hope to be more involved in our university's culture, particularly by bringing interesting information to all of our students!