Best Ways to Distract Yourself From Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Revision period has officially started, and I know I feel like I’m still stuck learning week two’s materials. This is a stressful time, compounded by the fact that your friends back home are still nursing their trytophan-induced comas – so cut yourself some slack. Studying is the worst and there are but few things that make it better, but alas we don’t pay thousands upon thousands of pounds to come to St Andrews just to take pretty sunset photos. So study we must. 

The main thing to remember during revision week is to take breaks. Don’t be like me and shut yourself off from everyone for hours upon hours, staring at textbooks, my notes and my laptop screen until my eyes gloss over and I’ve lost all semblence of a human. Seriously, don’t do this. 

It’s important to take time off from studying, to let your brain ‘recover’ and refresh so that you can tackle your notes anew. Some people like to work for long stretches and then break for an hour (what I have done in the past), whereas others find they benefit from having a quick 10 min break every hour or so – figure out what works best for you and stick to it! 

So in light of this, here are the best ways to distract yourself from your work:

1. YouTube

This is pretty straight-forward – there are so many amazing videos you can watch on YouTube, depending on your mood. Love late night shows? Check out Seth Meyer’s latest “A Closer Look” or find an old James Corden “Carpool Karaoke” to enjoy. Love stand-up comedy? There are literally hundreds of them available [my personal faves are Trevor Noah and John Mulaney]. Watch a fun pastry video or just look at some cute puppies with babies; the possibilities are endless. 

[Source: Tumblr]

2. Cooking

I find it quite soothing to do some ‘mindless’ task with my hands, like cleaning or making a meal. I find the physical action calming and it helps to distract me and clear my mind. If you are like me and prefer to take longer breaks after several hours of work, this tip works wonderfully because you can time it for your mealtimes. If you prefer shorter breaks every so often, make yourself a cup of tea or fix a quick snack plate. Besides the physical actions involved, the food also really helps :) 

[Source: kimballstock

3. Social Media  

I probably don’t even need to mention this, as many of us are already guilty of spending far too much time on sites like Facebook or Instagram. But I quite enjoy using these social media platforms for a break break, something around 10 minutes. Included in this are, of course, sites like Her Campus or Buzzfeed where you can find lots of short articles that are not too tedious.  [Source: Pinterest]

4. Exercise  

Stretching or literally just going for a quick walk is so, so amazingly helpful. You never realize just how crappy your desk chair is and how stiff your bones are until you bend to pick up that pen you just dropped and can literally feel every vertebrae in your back crack. Get your ass out of the chair, do some sun salutations or walk for a few minutes, and return. It does wonders. If you prefer a longer, more vigorous workout, hit the gym of go for a nice, brisk run outside. 

[Source: BarkPost]

5. Naps :) 

The last and my favorite tip – do not be afraid to take naps, but only if you need them. It’s important to keep a fairly structured sleep schedule, but I’ve never fully mastered that and often find myself falling asleep at 10 am. My ‘sleep schedule’ is even more ridiculous come revision time, where I often stay up until the sun actually comes up and then head to bed for a quick power-snooze. Naps are a life-saver. Set your alarm and then set another one, just in case. I usually go for 20 minutes once or twice a day, depending on how dead I feel inside. Some people prefer taking a nice, long two hour nap once a day. Feel free to pick and choose. 

[Source: GIPHY]

Best of luck, St Andrews. Hope these tips help!

SaveSave

Meena Nayagam

St. Andrews

I am an American medical student at the University of St Andrews, Scotland. I have been an avid writer for several years, focusing mainly on creative writing. But I hope to be more involved in our university's culture, particularly by bringing interesting information to all of our students!