Autumnal Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

By Caroline Pratt 

As the leaves begin to turn and change colours in St Andrews, students are beginning to replace their summer wardrobes with their staples for this autumn. Here are our top picks for fashion trends for this autumn.

1. Turtlenecks and High Collars

No, this is not the look that plagued your awkward Elementary school days when your Mom dressed you for school. Turtlenecks have been transformed into something more chic and a little less stifling. Whether a bulky knit or a sleek top a la Kim Kardashian, necklines are rising! And let them, paired with the right cheekbone contouring turtlenecks are sure to leave you looking trim and elegant.

2. Ankle Boots with Cuffed Trousers

By cuffing your trousers just at the top of a boot, you lengthen your legs and get to show off cute shoes at the same time! A little heel never hurts, either.

3. Blue/Green Mirrored Sunglasses

Chilly as it may be, the St Andrews sun is still obnoxiously bright! We suggest a darker, mirrored lens that can be carried over from the summer well into the winter, even on ski trips!

“Times New Roman”,”serif””>4. Capes

Although Barbours may be a classic staple for St Andrean girls, many seem to be retiring this quintessential piece of outerwear for a new one: the cape. These open structure pieces are everywhere, especially in lighter pastels (Pale pink or baby blue will brighten up even the foggiest of days!). While you won’t get superhero powers by wearing one, you will turn heads in this new trend featured on runways throughout Europe.

5. 1960’s Revival

Watch out St Andrews, because the 1960s are making a comeback. Whether it be with winged eyeliner, teased hair, or mod styled clothing, channel your inner Twiggy and bring back the mini skirts and dresses that we all know and love.

6. Elevated Sportswear

Who said you can only wear trainers to the gym? With “elevated sportswear” seen on runways everywhere lately (including Rag & Bone SS15 pictured here), it’s easy to look sporty and chic while walking across campus to attend lectures. Just pair your favourite pair of New Balance or Nike trainers with a typical lecture outfit. Don’t want to look too keen to exercise? Try Supergas instead for a subtler version of this trend.

“Times New Roman”,”serif””>