The Alternative Exam guide – a.k.a. How to Fail

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

While last week we at Her Campus attempted to cuddle you through the sickening period of exams, this week we are doing the reverse. This is your alternate guide to ‘surviving’ exams.

1.       Pick up a new hobby.

This is the perfect time to learn how to play golf. The Himalayas golf course mini golf thing is only one pound for students. You’re welcome.

2.       Catch up with friends.

Now that you don’t have any lectures – you actually have no time constraints to meet up with friends. Arts students and Science students can finally meet up in the day. This is what you have been waiting for all semester. I know it.

3.       Don’t set an alarm – ever.

You can now lie in. You don’t need a seat in the library – you have the comfort of your bed.

4.       Take time out to party

Not just because it is my birthday during exam week. You need to let your hair down and unwind from your week of Netflix, yik yak, and general procrastination coffees.

5.       Procrastinate productively

This the time to get your Yik Yak score up. Everybody is on at revision – so perfect time to up your Yakarma. Popular topics include: Netflix, current affairs, lack of revision, and sexual frustration. Go, have fun.

6.       Procrastinate unproductively

Yes, this is the perfect time to catch up with all your favourite TV shows. But it is also the time – with all your extra free time and no lectures – to watch TV and films that would not usually be your first choice. Yes, this is the time for a High School Musical marathon. Yes, Zac Efron may seem rather young now, but my goodness he can sing AND play basketball. Plus, the wisdom of Buzzfeed informed me that he was my ‘teen heart-throb’ – and I agree.

7.       Get cooking

Why not. Your mother probably tells you that you eat too unhealthy. This is the time to prove her wrong. Spend hours labouring over ‘healthy’ three course meals because – hey, at the end you get food! (Providing you haven’t burnt it.) #nomnomnom

8.       Start drinking at lunchtime

It makes the days go quicker. Summertime is just around the corner. Or, as my flatmate has recently discovered, just give up with the glass and just pour red wine over whatever meal you are eating – from curry, to Mexican to my favourite – ‘grunge.’ (A la Peep Show). 

9.       Get plotting on a way to eliminate sea-gulls from St Andrews

If you are not studying – you might as well help the wider St Andrews community. And me. Please save me from my re-occurring nightmare surrounding The Birds. Please. Also this will help with your ability to have a lie in.

10.   Get really into something obscure

Go into a Wikipedia hole. Or IMDB. Or just the whole internet.

11.   Or something mainstream.

Like Harry Potter. I have spied the complete set in Bell Street Bernados. My sister informed me that her favourite moment of revision so far is when her textbook mentioned the ‘forest of dean’ which she had read in Harry Potter the night before. (We are a really cool family). Just don’t get freaked out by Hermione’s actual commitment to her studies. 

Freya Liddell

St. Andrews

3rd Year History student at St Andrews