8 Underrated Disney Animated Movies to Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

If you ask someone for their favorite animated Disney movie, you’ll probably get answers ranging from The Lion King to Beauty and the Beast – those powerhouse classics we all and love. But Disney animated movies are more than just those crowd favorites, and there are many underrated Disney movies I think deserve more love and should given their due :) If you’re looking for a break from a revision, this a good list to start with!

1. The Emperor’s New Groove

On the subject of favorite movies, I’m going to be honest; this awesome gem is probably my favorite movie hands down, and definitely my favorite Disney movie. Smart, sharp and laugh-out-loud funny (I bust a gut laughing every time I re-watch it, which is often), this movie’s one-liners are gold, plus the theme song always makes me cry a little.

2. Hercules

Hercules has some of my favorite Disney songs ever – Michael Bolton’s Go the Distance is the song I put on when I need to work but I feel like a nap – I CAN GO THE DISTANCE AND FINISH WRITING THIS ESSAY. And Meg is just a treasure, I love her.

3. The Sword in the Stone

Another Disney film I love for the humor, this movie is my go-to Arthurian adaptation, and worth watching just for the kickass battle between Merlin and Mad Madame Mim, who I love almost as much as Yzma in Emperor’s New Groove.

4. The Princess and the Frog

Disney’s last hand-drawn 2D Disney princess film, Princess and the Frog is truly wonderful and everyone needs to realize how amazing it is. The animation is gorgeous, Tiana is an awesome character who works hard for her dream and perserves until it comes true at the end of the film, and Naveen’s character arc is well-written and believable. And there’s a love song between a firefly and a star *hearteyes*

5. Atlantis: The Lost Empire

One of Disney’s only science fiction films, Atlantis is the story of Milo, a linguistic and cartographer who finds the map to the lost empire of Atlantis and meets Princess Kida. The film is Disney’s try at an action-adventure film, a successful try that is a must-see for any Disney fan.

6. Treasure Planet

An adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson’s novel Treasure Planet, this movie tells the epic fantasy adventure of cabin boy Jim on a flying boat. I mean, it has pirates in space! Robot pirates! How is this not a more common favorite?

7. Robin Hood

For most people, their favourite Robin Hood adaptation might be the miniseries with Richard Armitage and Jonas Armstrong, or the 1938 classic The Adventures of Robin Hood starring Errol Flynn (which I very much enjoyed), but my pick would be for this Disney classic :D

8. 101 Dalmatians

High on my list of comfort movies, 101 Dalmatians is a wonderfully cozy and domestic film that I love – the opening scene where Pongo tries to matchmake his human with someone is a classic, and the movie ends with 101 puppies – what more could you ask for? :)

Jenny Yau

St. Andrews

I'm Jenny Yau, 19 and from Hong Kong. Reading, writing poetry and watching tv are my main obsessions. I am sometimes mistaken for a hermit, but I'm friendly once you get to know me :p