3 Real Life Scenarios Straight Out of Black Mirror

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

1. Hacker Doll

Picture this: You are a seven-year-old girl playing with her new pretty blonde doll. This doll also wants to know your parents’ credit card number. This sounds more like a sci-fi plot than real life but according to BBC, this may be happening right now in Germany.

2. Not-So-Fake Assassination

Looks like televised prank shows and movie violence have desensitized us to the point where people are carrying out real assassinations without knowing it – or at least that’s what they claim. The recent assassination of Kim Jong-Nam sheds light upon the ambiguous ethics television nowadays adheres to, and the lengths we are willing to go to just to be on its screen.

3. Bee Drones

Clearly, these scientists have not watched ‘Hated in the Nation’. Japanese scientists have designed remote-controlled bees in an effort to combat the dwindling amount of bees pollinating our plants. Though these bees are not exactly the same as the killer bees in Black Mirror as they still require remote controls. So let us take solace in that particular defect while it lasts. 

Jenny Yau

St. Andrews

I'm Jenny Yau, 19 and from Hong Kong. Reading, writing poetry and watching tv are my main obsessions. I am sometimes mistaken for a hermit, but I'm friendly once you get to know me :p