This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

Summer is right around the corner and that means applying for summer jobs. While interviews are intimidating for everyone there are some keys to landing the perfect summer job!

Dress the Part but Be True to You.

Make sure to dress professionally for your interview. That means dressing conservatively in high quality, well-ironed clothes. If you have tattoos and are unsure of the company’s policy regarding them, make sure to keep them covered. Dressing well shows employers that you are serious about getting the job. But just as importantly, keep your outfit true to who you are. Showing employers your own unique style solidifies that you’ll be a one-of-a-kind asset to their team.

Be Prepared. Bring a Resume.

Make sure to reread your resume and application before you go to ensure that you are ready for any questions they may throw your way. Have a friend ask you a few practice questions to help shake off your nerves. When it comes time for your interview, bring an extra copy of your resume. Though you may have already sent them a copy, it’s still important to have one on hand. This shows employers that you are prepared and willing to answer any questions they may have about your work experience.

Be On Time.

Whatever you do, don’t be late to an interview. Lateness is unprofessional and causes you unnecessary stress. Be sure to show up 10-15 minutes early, ready to go. If you have never been to the location before, drive there beforehand to see how long it takes and where you can park.

Be Confident.

Listen to your favorite songs on the way to the interview. Eat some chocolate. Call your mom. Whatever it takes, make sure you walk into your interview as confident as possible. If you believe you can succeed, you are already halfway there. Employers love eye contact and a good hand shake!

Good luck!

Sarah Maberry is a fashion writer based in NYC. She is graduating in 2019 with a dual degree in Fashion Business Management from FIT and Apparel Design and Merchandising from Seattle Pacific University. Sarah started her writing career at the SPU Chapter of Her Campus and has since worked with various publications for event coverage and style writing. When she isn't busy writing she loves running, watching That 70's Show, and finding the best $1 pizza in Manhattan.
Fashion merchandising student at Seattle Pacific University where I aspire to become a bridal stylist, fashion stylist or trend forecaster. Other hobbies of mine include photography, sketching, and blogging . Follow my style blog at www.stylistinseattle.com