burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

DIY Recreate your favorite top

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

Have you ever had the perfect top and regretted that you didn’t buy another? I’m going to teach you how to do a rub off of a top.  All you need is a little bit of sewing knowledge, some fabric and your favorite shirt! Now wait…What exactly is a rub off? It’s basically taking a garment you love (or hate, but why would you do that?) and creating a duplicate!

Supplies needed:

Your favorite shirtScissorsSewing machineThreadPinsFabric marking pencil or chalk (a colored pencil does the trick too!)

Step 1:Start by pinning one piece of your favorite shirt (Ex. The back piece, the sleeve, the front piece, the yolk, ect…) to the fabric. Make sure that the fabric is flat and you pin it all around the edges.

Step 2:Use your pencil or chalk to mark all around your pins by basically drawing the whole shape of the garment onto the fabric. Make sure these are very clear lines. Once you are finished remove the pins from that piece.

Step 3:Add ½” inch seam allowance and then cut the piece out.

Step 4:Repeat step 2 and 3 until you have traced every part of your garment.

Step 5:Once you have everything cut out and ready. Then start by sewing the back to the yolk (If you have one), the front and the back pieces together, and then sew in the sleeves. Then simply finish the edges and voila, you have a new favorite shirt!

Hey I'm Jaclyn! I paint and I sew. I'm a senior studying apparel design and merchandising. I'm so excited to write for HerCampus so I can share some tips and tricks of fashion with you!
Fashion merchandising student at Seattle Pacific University where I aspire to become a bridal stylist, fashion stylist or trend forecaster. Other hobbies of mine include photography, sketching, and blogging . Follow my style blog at www.stylistinseattle.com