you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Unimportance of Summer Internships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

Spelman is a campus that strives on the excellence of its students. Hence why Spelmanites seek out  internships more than the average college student. However, not everyone is lucky to be accepted into a prestigious internship or summer job that pays for housing, offers a stipend, and gives you an opportunity to bump elbows with important people.

If you have an internship or a summer opportunity, this is not to shame you, but for those who do not I have some alternatives that will allow you to work in your career field and improve your inner spiritual person.

(Photo courtesy of memegenerator.com)

The first option I highly recommend is exploration. This exploration can be traveling across the world, or going to a park you never knew existed in your city or town. These experiences allow you to put life into perspective. Also, if you feel your mental health is not where it should be, or you suffer from anxiety, taking time to enjoy nature will be beneficial.

Second, scrapbooking is a fun way to reflect on your past school year, as well as look toward the upcoming semester. This is a creative alternative as opposed to writing in a diary because your story is in your photos. I love to scrapbook, and Walgreens offers good prices for quality photos that makes my memories come alive. I may not be the best at it, but my scrapbook serves its purpose. In addition to scrapbooking, making arts and crafts, sewing, or painting can also be therapeutic. If you are really good, you can start a small business by selling your products to family and friends.

Lastly, find some time to volunteer with a nonprofit or organization that is close to your career interests. This can be an opportunity that not only makes use of your time, but it can be added to your resume. Since I am a political science major, I reach out to local nonprofits in my community that focus on politics or social justice. Contacting them to offer your time shows you are dedicated about being involved in your career even if it is not a paid opportunity. Another perk of volunteering is you can have a flexible schedule that allows you to get a job on the side. 

There are a million other options you have at your disposal to fulfill your summer break. When thinking about what to do for the summer, look through the lens of trying to make yourself a person who is content, not in competition or stressed about how these 11 weeks will look to a future employer. Dedicate your summer to improving your mental and physical health as well as enjoying living in the present.

I am a sophomore political Science major at Spelman College. I love to volunteer in my local community to help mentor youth and develop their chracter. I hope to study public policy in graduate school, so I can work to reform education.
Hey hey guys! My name is La'Candis, but I usually go by Candis. Hailing from the countryside of Monroe, Louisiana its no surprise that I love my sugar cane sweet tea and zydeco music. Currently, I am a Junior Political Science major with a minor in writing at the Illustrious Spelman College. Upon obtaining my undergraduate degree next Spring I intend to pursue a career in journalism.