The Toga Party: Renaissance Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

The final week of classes has arrived and with it comes stress from trying to submit extra credit assignments, headache when you realize finals week is next week, and the most highly anticipated party of the year: Toga.

Annually thrown by the Alpha Rho Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., Toga is the perfect time for students across the AUC to personify their inner Greek God/Goddess and turn up one last time. 

With Toga being tomorrow, the Spelman Chapter of Her Campus has composed a list of Do’s and Dont’s. Follow these 7 tips and you’ll be sure to have a fun, financially positive time. 

1. GET YOUR TICKET NOW!

Dont rely on your homeboy, God cousin, or best friend’s Morehouse brother to get you in. You will be mad when you get there and the prices are higher at the door than the presales were. Love your wallet and click HERE to buy your ticket online now. 

2. Throw a toga creation party with your friends

Making a toga isnt easy, but it isnt hard either. Get together with you friends tonight or tomorrow afternoon and creatively collaborate on outfit ideas. Ladies, dont forget your accessories. To make a flower crown or arm band simply head to Michaels and get hot glue, flowers, wire, and  spray paint. 

3. Dont buy a dress and call it a toga

The subtitle says it all. Toga is the time for you to let loose and use your creative hands. Head to a fabric store or Walmart and get ready to wrap and pin to perfection.

4. Sew and pin sis, sew and pin

Don’t leave your life in the hands of flimsy safety pins. No one wants their toga falling off in the middle of the party. For the guys, pin your toga to your underwear. For the ladies, the best option is to use a bralette as the base of your top and sew spanks onto the bottom of your toga. Both of these ideas are effective, if anything was to come undone at least you’re undergarments are still on!

5. Make sure ALL of your work is done 

Don’t be at Toga knowing you have a paper due at11:59 p.m. that night. Prioritize your life, if you have a paper due tomorrow or Thursday get it done today or tomorrow morning. Remember your GPA is forever, Toga is only for a night. 

6. Be responsible 

Make great decisions, go with a friend group and leave with that friend group. Even if you’re just going to the bathroom, use the buddy system and take a friend with you. 

7. Uber everywhere- skrt skrt

Parking is a nightmare at Museum Bar, dont risk paying crazy parking fees or your car being towed. Catch those weekday uber and lyft deals and prosper!

Happy end of the year and see you at toga. Remember: Do turn up, but dont get caught up!

Hey hey guys! My name is La'Candis, but I usually go by Candis. Hailing from the countryside of Monroe, Louisiana its no surprise that I love my sugar cane sweet tea and zydeco music. Currently, I am a Junior Political Science major with a minor in writing at the Illustrious Spelman College. Upon obtaining my undergraduate degree next Spring I intend to pursue a career in journalism.