He Wears, She Likes!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

Let’s just face the facts. We are judged based off of our appearance before anything else is known about us. A person can create an opinion about a person within seconds of seeing them just by the clothing that they are wearing, or the shoes they choose to sport on their feet. But this is simply a facet of human nature. Judgment is something that is bound to happen, no matter what the environment is.

Now, I can personally attest to the fact that there is indeed a lot of judgment done against the opposite sex when it comes to how they dress and present themselves. I have my own opinions about how men dress, as I believe what you wear does say a lot about yourself and your character. Although this is how I feel, I was interested in seeing how other women felt about certain styles that are often worn by men. So, I simply asked my college aged female friends and even fellow Spelmanites how they felt about specific clothing that is frequently seen on them. I asked the participants how they felt about men being dressed up, men dressing in athletic styled clothing, and men dressing in casual clothing. And this is what I found out.

When I asked women how they felt when men wore suits, there were always swoons and an abundance of excitement. Words like focused, classy, and driven were used. The word confident was also used frequently.  I just love it when a man wears a suit. A man in a suit just seems like he has his head on his shoulders, like absolutely nothing can stop him from achieving his goals.” says a sophomore biology major here at Spelman. “You just automatically look so put-together and efficient.” With this being said, she also pointed out that the fit of the suit is equally as important, because if your suit is ill fitted, you appear awkward and out of place.

But when I asked them about men who wear clothes with a more athletic feel, such as joggers, Jordan’s/Nikes, and graphic tees, a totally different opinion was given. “I think it’s fine when guys wear joggers.” says freshman communications major from Grambling State University. “They’re really comfy and laidback so I see why they wear them. I personally enjoy seeing guys wearing joggers.” But another participant had a totally different opinion. “If we’re being completely honest, joggers can be kind of basic to me.” “Especially those black Adidas track pants, those really need to go.” Confused by her extreme disapproval of these now apparently infamous pants, I pressed for more information on why she disliked them so much. “I don’t know”, she laughs. “I think it’s because I see like every guy wearing them so it gets kind of boring.” “I also feel like guys who wear them have been stereotyped into kind of being an a**hole, so that’s why I don’t really enjoy them.”

Finally, I asked how they felt about guys wearing a simple hoodie and jeans and I was flooded with surprisingly pleasant responses. “If your everyday uniform is a hoodie and jeans I automatically love you. You seem really flexible and easygoing, and low maintenance, which is always a plus.” says a fellow Spelmanite. “I really like it too.” says an additional participant. “It makes a guy look really approachable and chill which is always a good thing.”  A hoodie and jeans can be really simple and the women interviewed seemed to be appeased by the simplicity. 

From this informal survey, it seemed as though participants enjoyed when men wore all of the styles discussed, which I definitely have to agree with. All of the styles suggested can be flattering and attractive, as long as they are worn during the appropriate time. I don’t really have a “look” or “style” that I prefer a man to wear. While I do enjoy when a man looks nice and presentable, his confidence while wearing his chosen outfit is so much better than any piece of clothing, even if it is a well-fitted suit!

Endia Hayes is a junior, Sociology and Anthropology major at the illustrious Spelman College. An aspiring college professor with hopes on earning her PH.D. in Sociology, Endia is a scholar activist and UNCF Mellon Mays Fellow who believes that through education anyone can change the world. If you see or know of an issue, take a stand because the world will continue to turn with or without your impact. She loves all types of music, however, she is convinced Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong are the best duo of all time. Les Miserables is the absolute BEST musical and no one can convince her otherwise.I am not longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept ~ Angela Davis