This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

It’s that time of the year again: the time where your stress level increases, your bank account decreases, and your tolerance level just comes to a screeching halt. It’s that dreadful time for midterms. College students all around the world could assure the hardest times of the year lies between midterms and finals. This is the time one questions is college really worth it. Is it truly worth the stress, money, and time? I will let you be the judge of that.

It’s no secret that college is not mandatory in order to be successful. Take some of the richest men in the world for example, Bill Gates or Steve Jobs. Both men did not finish college and probably have more money in their pocket than I have accumulated in the last 6 months. If you were guaranteed a job that cancels out all the debt that amasses from student loans, tuition, class fees, and room and board then there would be no question about if college is necessary. Unfortunately, it is not nearly as simple. There is a risk factor involved. This is more specifically related to your major. It can be depressing at times especially for someone like me who’s a broadcast journalism major. I greatly became familiar with the quote, “many are called, but few are chosen”. It’s very intimidating to want a spot as something when there’s so few spots to give. In the real world, it seems to be more about who you know than what you know. We have entered the age of networking. Is college obligatory against this new system?

It isn’t fair if I do not present the other side of the argument, however. I do need to mention the favorable side to furthering your education background. Please don’t misconstrue my opinion of college. I’m a firm believer in education. College can be extremely beneficial. I’m not sure if there is a more memorable, self-identifying, or worthwhile experience than one the college lifestyle offers. Most adults remember their college experience more vivid and thrilling than any other time in their lifetime. Not only this but, you acquire skills through college that’s simply not offered anywhere else. So, obviously there are apparent benefits to college.

However, is it truly worth the stress, money, and time? Not to mention, the overall risk involved. The only thing you’re guaranteed in the end is a big fat bill. So, is it worth it? I’ll leave you to decide.