Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A College Budget: Finding Money through Odd Jobs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

College is hard. Life is hard. Money is hard. Everything is hard–look, I get it.
Money, especially, can play a huge factor in your stress level and school performance. Life conveniently gets easier when you come into it, and mysteriously starts to suck when you get out of it.
For various reasons, college students often find that they can’t hold a part time job. Whether it’s a conflict with class schedule or the extra curriculars that are important to you, you’re not alone in being unable to find a restaurant that wants you to serve for them. Luckily, there are some things that you can do, especially if you go to The University of Southern Mississippi:

1. Eagle Employment has helped me a ton.

Browse local listings that are actively looking for college students! This is amazing. Once I realized that boobs & a nice smile can’t always ensure a job, I started looking at lists like this.
Remember to call/physically go back, to check on your application!

2. Sign up for Eagle Employment’s “Odd Job” list!

I’ve picked up a few jobs from these emails before. They’re mostly locals who need help with moving, yardwork, house cleaning, or being driven either to their doctor appointment or to the coast/Mobile. This list is amazing if you’re not fit for a regular work schedule but you still need 30 bucks or so every now and again.

Login to your Eagle Employment Account > Job Preferences, then choose Odd Jobs.

3. Are you a pleasant-looking young woman who likes children? Check out Sittercity.

There are other, similar sites. I personally know a woman who has had luck with Sittercity and she was a part time nanny through college, which is why I suggested it.

4. Ebay your life away!

Ebay is awesome. Did you know people buy clothes from ebay, like, all the time? This is a fantastic way to shrink your clutter while getting paid to do so. Also, their mobile app is SUPER easy to use.

5. Work for Amazon! Sort of! Not really!

Amazon will pay you small money to take surveys. You can convert it into giftcards if, like me, you buy all of your school supplies from this online giant. You’re not exactly going to get rich doing this, but it can be a better use of time than scrolling facebook.

Lots of schools and communities have similar sites and programs to connect students with sources of spare cash. Check it out, and do your research! And on that note–good luck, soon-to-not-be-broke Collegiette! :)

Cathy C.

Southern Miss

Hello! I am a 5th year senior, working towards a Graphic Design BFA with a minor in English. I am an ex-Greek transfer student, here to help you keep all of your sex/health/relationship facts straight.