36th Annual Crescent City Classic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

This past Easter weekend, New Orleans held their 36th Annual Crescent City Classic 10k race. The Crescent City Fitness Foundation started the tradition back in 1979 to help lead the way to fitness and has held it on the Saturday before Easter every year since. 

The event has grown from some 900 participants in 1979 to approzimatly 26,000 runners and walkers in this years race. The event is perfect for anyone, from serious runners to families who just want to enjoy the Easter weekend. 

The race course starts participants in Jackson Square and takes them through some of the most beautiful parts of New Orleans, like the French Quater, and ends in City Park.

As a runner in the race this year, I was blown away by all of the participants. Every where I looked, there were people of all types. As far as I could see ahead of me and behind me there were people. This was my first 10k race and the biggest race that I’d ever attended. I cannot even begin to explain the feeling that over came me when we started the race. Running with so many different people in such a beautiful city was one of the best feelings I’ve ever experienced. Especially thinking about the anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombing, I was overwhelmed by the sense of community I felt with these perfect strangers. 

I encourage everyone to go out and do the Crescent City Classic or a race like it. Whether you are a runner or a walker, it will be like nothing you’ve ever experienced.

Abby Smith

Southern Miss

Abby Smith is a Freshman Broadcast Journalism major. She is a recent graduate of Sacred Heart High School and has spent her whole life in Hattiesburg, MS, but hopes to one day move to a big city and pursue a career in Journalism. Abby loves photography, traveling, running, and the outdoors.