Zak Blechman ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

If you’ve ever met this week’s Campus Cutie, you wouldn’t question our decision in choosing him. Zak Blechman is everyone’s favorite guy because of his exuberant personality and ability to turn any occasion into a great time. He’s smart, athletic, and loves travel and adventure. He isn’t too hard on the eyes, either.

Name: Zak Blechman

Hometown: Greenwich, Connecticut

Major: Global Supply Chain & Operations Management and Economics

Minor: Portuguese

Relationship Status: “Never satisfied, but satisfaction guaranteed.”

So Zak, what brings you to the University of South Carolina from Greenwich, CT?

I’m glad you asked. It was all thanks to a coin flip between USC and Miami of Ohio. Thankfully it landed on the right side.

We would agree that it did. What are you involved in on campus?

Had a quick stint playing USC rugby with some of the most athletic studs Gamecock country has to offer. And currently I’m constantly gambling my life away being a part of USC’s best Jew-ish fraternity, AEPi, where I’ve had the honor of getting to know some of the funniest degenerates on campus. The guys are pretty cool, too.

Sounds like a great group. Aside from hanging with your brothers, what do you like to do for fun?

Fun is what you make of it. Forever amateur shower singing. Always enjoy chef-ing it up in our one of a kind kitchen. Although it’s tough competition with Sodexo down the road. Eating a slice or seven at Nicky’s. Drawing unreal art during my BADM [Business Administration] class. Playing some ball, always trying to relive the glory days. And nothing like blasting some tunes and having an impromptu dance party with roommates. Also sitting in extremely awkward silence, it’s an exhilarating feeling.

Well, you sound like a very entertaining guy. You say you like to cook, any specialty dishes?

I like to think I’m the best cook around. But I learned my techniques from a true master, Zach Nussbaum [his roommate]. I do make a mean pair of eggs delicately served on well-toasted rye bread drenched in an array of vegetables, cheese and fresh meat. And of course, the always necessary sriracha.

Sounds delicious! So, say it’s Saturday night on a bye-week, where can we find Zak Blechman?

Tailgating at Memorial. Or traveling away from the amazing metropolis of Columbia.

Tailgating at Memorial on a bye-week?

It’s never a bye-week at USC.

Haha, fair enough. Brave enough to admit your guilty pleasure(s)?

Pirates booty, booty in general, dulce de leche ice cream, long showers with my girl Lauryn Hill blasting in the background, and binge watching Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

Can’t go wrong with Fresh Prince. And Lauryn Hill, great choice! Speaking of celebrities, who’s your celeb crush and why?

Jennifer Aniston meets Scar Jo. No explanation necessary.

Completely understood. What’s your go-to pickup line?

I usually just shoot over a wink 9 out of 10 times. But when that doesn’t work I just lock eyes and hit her with, “Hey, Zak Bleckman – Campus Cutie. You know, you’ve got that body your whole life. I just want it for one night.”

You’re a riot. Fill in the blank: A girl’s best feature is her ______

Wild side

Nice choice. Where would you take your wild dream girl on a date?

Only if Publix doesn’t have a stellar pub sub deal going that week. I’d have to say start with a fire dinner on the beach with a few tall glasses of vino followed by a low-key concert or pro sporting event. Then a casual walk through the city lights with some cream of the ice variety so I can watch her strut. Finished off with a sprinkle of fairy dust and magic all night. Again, this is given there are no pub sub deals around.

Well as much as we love Publix subs, I think the second option would be preferred by most! Where do you see yourself in five years?

Still the USC campus cutie. Just somewhere, anywhere abroad, spreading my Gamecock cuteness.

Haha okay and lastly, what’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever gotten?

Tough question. “Life is short so extend the pleasure,” from my grandma and “You are who you run with…FYI we’ve been running the show since birth,” from my dad.

Kristina Zagame

South Carolina

Born and raised right outside the great city of Boston. Senior at the University of South Carolina. Major: Broadcast Journalism. Minor: Sport and Entertainment Management. Interests include traveling, storytelling, and trying to squeeze in naps. Biggest pet peeve: being told, "no." Instagram & Twitter: @kzagame GO COCKS!