This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

When you think of video games, what comes to mind? A first-person shooter? A first-person RPG? Maybe a third person RPG? Perhaps a fun new app that you just discovered? Whichever way you look at it, video games are all around us, especially in this day and age with technology rapidly advancing. In theory, video games should be playable by anyone who has an interest in the content and topic of the game. However, it does not seem to be trending when it comes to buying and selling them. It is common for most teen and young adult males to own and play video games. I’m sure you can picture someone like that in their basement with their headset on with a controller in their hands. 

But, why is it seen as taboo for girls to like video games and play them too? And, the games that are tailored toward girls normally have to do with shopping, fashion, makeup, unicorns, rainbows and the like. Society likes to portray females as a certain way in video games, yet, markets them toward males instead. And many girls who play video games are labeled as “fake” or just a “gamer girl” and not a “real gamer.” I want to share my experience of being a girl who plays video games for most of her life and how it’s just as important that girls feel they can play video games too, and not just games with puppies in them

When I was six years old my mother bought my brother a Gameboy Advanced and a copy of Pokémon Ruby for his birthday – little did I know that it would have a long-lasting impact on my life. My sister and played that game for hours, sitting next to one another in a big, comfy chair as we switched off playing. That was my first introduction to video games. If my mother never brought the game home, I don’t think I would have ever gotten to experience the all the video games I’ve played in my life and how they’ve helped shape me into the person I am today. 

Since then, my love for video games has grown exponentially. I started off playing Nintendo, but I’ve also branched out to PC and console games as well. Some of my favorite games are Pokémon, Fire Emblem and Skyrim. I love video games because they are a creative outlet that allows me to control and fashion certain aspects of the world the way I want. They spark innovation and ideas and allow me to think about complex ideas that don’t pertain to schoolwork. Sometimes I’ll even sit around planning certain maps, moves and quests in my head. I’m that involved.

The sad part, however, is that I have received a lot of criticism in my life for playing video games. Granted, many of the games I played were made by Nintendo and I hadn’t branched out much until I got to college, but it’s unfair to undermine my skills and abilities just because I didn’t own an Xbox or a PlayStation since I was 12. I may not be the best at video games. I’m terrible at many of them. But, video games are supposed to be a fun, creative outlet. Just because I don’t compete or play to be the best does not mean my accomplishments are any less than that of guys who play video games. 

And I’m sure many other girls feel the same way I do, that they’ll never be a real gamer in the eyes of society. But, I’m here to say that if you love video games, keep playing them. If you’ve ever wanted to try a game, do it. Do what interests you, and if that’s video games, don’t let the stereotypes get to you. As long as you’re having fun and enjoying yourself, you’re playing video games for the right reasons. So, continue being you and never let your passion for gaming die. They really do make a difference in our lives. 

Alyssa Clark

South Carolina

Alyssa Clark, born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, has been a writer her whole life. Ever since she could pick up a pencil her ideas have been as limitless as her imagination. Recently her work has won several awards, including second place in the North East Texas Writer’s Organization Teen Short Story Contest as well as first place in The University of South Carolina’s Honor’s Day Prose Contest. Alyssa is a passionate writer and has been working on her current work in progress, “The Queen of Light,” for over six years now. She is currently a sophomore at the University of South Carolina studying Biochemistry and Molecular biology.
Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.