Why Feminism Should Be Important to You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Do you believe in equal rights? Then you believe in feminism. Although the main message behind feminism often gets lost in a crowd of misconceived notions, it’s really just about equal rights for both men and women. So, before you discredit all of the hard work feminists are putting forth, take a second to understand what they’re working towards. The actual definition of feminism is “the advocacy of women’s rights on the ground of political, social, and economic equality to men.” It has nothing to do with hating men, or even claiming that women are the superior gender, but has everything to do with asserting our rights as women to be seen as equals to our male peers.

Many negative opinions of feminism arise because the most extremist feministic ideas are often conceived as the definition of feminism, but when is it ever okay to judge an entire group of people based off the radicals among them? In fact, next time you’re quick to write off a point of view based on extremes from either side, consider the facts at hand. The truth is, women still face both social and political injustice in society today. Women pay more for healthcare than men. Is that fair? Especially when taken into consideration that women make less than men for doing the same amount of work. In 2014, women made only 79% of what men were making according to the website AAUW. Furthermore, according to the Washington Post, as of now, in 2016, women make only 79 cents to every dollar men make. In summary women pay more for healthcare, but make less. Does that seem fair? 

Sure, you may not be a fan of “free the nipple” or shouting “f*ck the patriarchy”, but until we start accepting that it is okay, or in fact, that it is necessary, for males and females alike to better understand and appreciate the message of feminism, then nothing will ever change. As notable actress, and kick-ass woman, Sophia Bush once said, “It’s so not complicated… I watch everybody fight over whether it’s appropriate to be a feminist or not. And I sit here thinking, well, I’m a woman. I would like to be judged on the quality of my work, I would like to be compensated fairly for my work. I would like to have just as much access to healthcare as any man. Yeah, that’s pretty much it. I don’t know what the big fight is all about.” YOU GO GIRL! 

Elaine Declasp

South Carolina

SC Contributor

South Carolina