Ugly Christmas Sweaters and Where to Find Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Christmas time is here, so you can ~finally~ break out all your holiday cheer without anyone judging you because “it’s too early,” or whatever lame excuse they come up with. There are plenty of things to get excited about during the Christmas season—pretty lights, yummy treats, general Christmas magic, Christmas parties, finals ending, the list goes on and on. The Christmas season even comes with its own fashion trends, the most exciting of which is easily the Ugly Christmas Sweater. The ugliest of the ugly are hard to come by, so we’ve made a list of the best places to find ugly Christmas sweaters.

1. Your Grandma’s Closet

The ugly Christmas sweater is not exactly a new trend. Christmas enthusiasts have been donning these holiday jewels for generations. So start your search in your grandma’s closet. If you can’t find one there, try your grandpa’s closet, or the attic or your weird uncle’s closet. Chances are someone in your family is bound to have one. The older and more well-worn it is, the uglier!

2. Consignment Shops

If you’ve exhausted the family-member closet option, your next stop should probably be the local vintage or consignment shop. Head on over to Goodwill or Salvation Army, and browse through their extensive collections of second-hand holiday cheer. You can find crazy things at vintage or consignment shops at any time of year, but they really up their game for the Christmas season.

3. The Ugly Christmas Sweater Website

Maybe you need an ugly Christmas sweater ASAP, and you don’t have time to go shopping or rummaging through other people’s closets. Check out UglyChristmasSweater.com and just order one online. It’s a website devoted entirely to ugly Christmas sweaters, so you know these guys aren’t messing around. They even have a whole section of 3D ugly Christmas sweaters.

4. Tipsy Elves

Tipsy Elves is another great option when it comes to ordering your ugly Christmas sweater online. They have a sweater with a pocket shaped like a stocking that holds an entire bottle of wine. You’re welcome.

5. Ragstock

Here’s another website that specializes in ugly Christmas sweaters. They have over 10,000 vintage sweaters in stock, so there’s sure to be at least one that is the right kind of ugly for you.

6. Etsy

If you’re looking for personalized ugly Christmas sweaters, Etsy is the place to go. You literally just type in “ugly Christmas sweaters” and over 45,000 results from different Etsy stores come up. You can set your price range and your color preference, and choose between thousands of vintage or handmade sweaters. It’s easy and super fun.

7. Amazon

Most of us are well aware of the wonder that is Amazon, so it should come as no surprise that you can find some pretty ugly Christmas sweaters there too. A quick search for “ugly Christmas sweater” brings up nearly 500,000 results. Plus, if you have Amazon Prime, you can get some sweaters shipped to you in just two days.

8. DIY

If you’re one of those super creative and artsy people, you could probably make your own ugly sweater. Honestly, you could probably make an ugly Christmas sweater even if you aren’t creative or artsy. It’s supposed to be ugly, right?

9. Kohls

Even if you don’t normally shop at Kohls for yourself, chances are your mom does. And if your mom shops at Kohls, then you know she’s got some Kohls Cash saved up somewhere. Find it, use it, (maybe ask first because it’s Christmas, and stealing is bad) and get yourself a slightly generic, but still sufficiently ugly Christmas sweater.

10. Walmart

Say you’ve got a Christmas party to go to in just a couple of hours and you’re balling on a budget, but you need an ugly Christmas sweater ASAP. Walmart has got you covered (literally this one even has a hood). They’ve got a pretty impressive selection of sweaters, so Walmart is certainly not bad as a last resort.

Ugly Christmas sweaters come in all shapes, sizes, colors and styles, and they aren’t all that hard to find if you know where to look. Hopefully this list helps you find the ugly Christmas sweater of your dreams.

Katie Milewski

South Carolina

Katie is a senior public relations student at the University of South Carolina. She loves traveling, corgis and chocolate chip cookies probably more than the average person. 
SC Contributor

South Carolina