photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Throw Your Loofah Away Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Let’s get right to the point: walk into your bathroom, grab your loofah, and can that thing before it can cause any more damage. Listen, we know you love feeling exfoliated, but girl, that is not happening when you’re scrub-a-dub-dubbin’ away.

A dermatologst from the Knight Dermatology Institute, J. Matthew Knight, told AWM.com that the skin cells you’re scrubbing off get trapped inside the loofah, and with all that moisture from the shower, bacteria sits and festers inside it. This leads to the formation of mold and yeast until you use it again in your next shower… EW! Think about the damage your loofah can cause you after you’ve shaved and your skin is much more vulnerable. Can that loofah right now!

If a moldy scrubbin’ doesn’t scare you and you refuse to give up the loofah lifetsyle, at least heed the advice from dermatologist Melissa Piliang, who told Cleveland Clinic that you should definitely replace your plastic loofah every two months and your natural loofah every three to four weeks… unless of course you see or smell something funky, then you should just get rid of it ASAP.

Seriously though, save some hassle, save some money, and just use a washcloth. 

Katie Kinslow

South Carolina

Communicator, award-winning time waster, avid Cheez-it eater, Pinterest zombie, Halloween enthusiast, passionate writer, and shopoholic who probably needs professional help. 
SC Contributor

South Carolina