Super Bowl 50 Celebrations at USC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

As most of you probably already know, this year’s Super Bowl will be a competition between the Carolina Panthers and the Denver Broncos. Since the Panthers are geographically close to USC, many fans here and across the Carolinas are excited to cheer on our nearby NFL team.

For those of us who are not incredibly knowledgeable about football, like me, the ads and the halftime show are reason enough to watch the Super Bowl. This year, Lady Gaga will be singing the national anthem and the halftime show will feature Coldplay and Beyoncé.  

Between the performances and the game, there will be some of the best and worst marketing ads we will see this year. During the Super Bowl, 100 advertising students, under the guidance of Professor Bonnie Drewniany, will come together to critique the commercials with special remotes based on likability, persuasiveness, and brand identity.

USC will also conduct it’s annual “Cocky’s Super Ad Poll” the day of the game. However, the voting is not limited to just the students. Anyone can vote online through a poll that will be available once the Super Bowl is over.  

After all the voting is done, “The Cocky Award” will be given to the most popular commercial. The advertising team that is the recipient of the award is invited to campus to share details about the making of the commercial and to receive the award.

Still need a place to watch the big game? Look no further than Russell House! Doors will open for the Super Bowl Viewing Party at 6:30pm. All you need is your Carolina Card and you’ll be able to watch the game and eat FREE food.

Hayley Schmitt

South Carolina

Just a University of South Carolina sophomore Public Relations major with an unhealthy obsession for Gossip Girl and mac & cheese.
SC Contributor

South Carolina