Small Changes to Lose First Semester Weight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

We all know that first semester is typically the time where you gain an extra couple of pounds. Between being back at school, eating out, and football season, it’s bound to happen… and that’s okay. New year, new you…until you get back to school and realize if anything, you may have gained a couple more pounds from all that Christmas chocolate. This is also totally fine and totally normal. Don’t panic, here are some almost unnoticeable, easy changes you can make that might help get you back in your groove and ready for spring break!

1. Drink More Water

Drinking water is underestimated when it comes to weight loss. Substituting water for sodas and sweet drinks during meals can make all the difference. Along with that, make a water bottle for each class that way you’re drinking a good amount each day. Water helps burn calories and suppresses appetite.

2. Avoid Going Out to Eat

After a summer job, you might have a little more confidence with your spending money, which means you probably go to Cantina or Cookout a lot more. By second semester, you’re broke. So that already pretty much takes care of this step. However, if you’re considering it, save the money for something else. There’s nothing wrong with a dinner out every once in awhile, but too much can really set you off track with weight loss. It can be more tempting to eat something unhealthy, plus a home cooked meal is much better for you.

3. Go to the Gym, You Can Do It

It can be really hard to make time for the gym. With a busy schedule and other priorities, going to the gym is most likely the very last thing on your list. But if you do your best to make it a priority, it can make a difference. Just a 30 minute cardio workout or run around the block will make you feel better and help with weight loss. Once you make it a part of your routine, it’ll feel more like a habit and less like a chore.

4. Drunk Eating Is a NO GO

This one is definitely obvious, but also probably the hardest to change. Just don’t do it. Don’t buy snack foods for your dorm or apartment, do whatever you can to not have leftover pizza in the fridge waiting for you, and don’t bring your debit card out for a stop at Cookout at the end of the night. It takes willpower, but we know you can do it. As good as a Cookout milkshake or a sandwich from Jimmy John’s sounds, you’ll most definitely regret it the next morning. There are already enough calories in the cranberry vodkas and cheap wine you drank throughout the night, don’t add chicken nuggets and fries to the list.

5. CHASE… CHASE… CHASE

This might be something that you rarely think about, but when you’re at the pregame and you’re reaching for the Sprite to chase your shot… reevaluate. Instead of chasing with sodas or sugary fruit juices, try MIO, Dasani drops, or any other form of water flavoring. Those usually have zero calories and are way better for you than all the chemicals and sugars in a soda.

6. Walking > Driving

If you don’t have a car, this one goes without saying because you don’t have the option. But if you’re ever offered a ride, considering ubering to class, or decide to drive yourself, change your mind and take a walk. You’ll save money and gas and burn some calories. The more walking, the better. 

SC Contributor

South Carolina