People Making A Change on Campus, Editor-in-chief of Garnet & Black’s Jake Margle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Picking up a copy of the USC student-made magazine, The Garnet & Black, is always a breath of fresh air. Inside the glossy, student-designed and edited pages, contributors and staff members cover topics ranging from fashion to classes to current news in a uniquely, daring and impactful way.

Jake Margle, editor-in-chief of The Garnet & Black and author of the 2016 fall issue’s break-through feature story, “That Familiar Feeling,” succeeded good friend, and previous editor-in-chief Erika Ryan, in the fall of 2016.

When HCSC talked to Margle about what being editor at large of G&B meant, he recalled talking to Ryan about the future of the magazine before he took over. “We both wanted to inject a lot more journalism into the magazine. You know, stories with a lot more impact. Since then, our staff writers have done stories covering sexual assault on campus and both adderall and vyvanse abuse.”

But, before joining G&B, Margle didn’t necessarily have it all worked out. Having grown up in Columbia, South Carolina, Margle knew that deciding to come to USC wouldn’t bring much of a scenic change, but for someone paying a large portion of tuition himself, he knew attending an in-state university was the best option.

Now, three years later, Margle will graduate with a degree in mass communications, despite spending the majority of his education majoring in journalism. “I knew I wouldn’t have enough time to run G&B and excel as a journalism student, so I decided to switch to mass communications in order to ensure I would have enough time for G&B.”

As a freshman, Margle didn’t get involved in a lot of organizations. “My one piece of advice for freshman would be to get involved. During freshman year I was a little closed up in my dorm, trying to do my studies. Then, I moved to a house that was a very tumultuous environment, and most of my time went into my relationship. It sounds cliche, but you just have to get involved. I was thinking about going out for The Daily Gamecock freshman year, but ended up talking myself out of it. Even if it means going out, and showing up, and never coming back because you felt too awkward or hated it, do it anyway.”

As the end of junior year neared, Margle realized he didn’t want to focus on the typical hard news writing style, and instead wanted to expand his writing to a more fun, relatable style that still incorporated news. He wasn’t sure how he could do that until one day he saw The Garnet & Blackon a newsrack, “That’s when I knew what I wanted to do. I still remember thinking to myself, ‘holy shit, this is it.’”

His first assignment was a story for their “Fish Out of Water” section where contributors go somewhere they aren’t necessarily inclined to go. Margle pitched the idea of going to Rickashae, a hip hop dance group. “I was terrified, even though I was only attending a weekly practice for their upcoming Halloween showcase. To my surprise, it turned out to be so much fun. In fact, about three quarters of the way in, I went to do a neck roll, and I didn’t turn my shoulder correctly and went back right on my neck. As I braced for the roll, I could hear members of the dance team telling me to roll the other way, with a hurriedly, ouch-that’s-gonna-hurt-later pitch to their voices. After that, I decided maybe it was best to sit on the sideline for a little bit and talk to them about how they got involved and why they started doing it. It was a short article, but I was very proud of it at the time. That’s when I knew what I wanted to do.”

And, that’s what he did. He started as a contributor until junior year, when he became an articles editor, which put him on track to become the editor-in-chief. As the EIC, Margle writes the traditional “Letter From the Editor” piece about what is in store for that particular issue, and at least one other feature piece.

One piece that stood out to many on campus was Margle’s editorial, “Fish Out of Water” that focused on the intensified sense of disbelief those felt and how to move on and heal after the Pulse Nightclub shooting. “I don’t like to identify myself as a queer writer, but there is just such a lack of coverage on these issues, especially in Columbia. My main goal of my piece, was to find out where people were and bring awareness.”

If you haven’t read Margle’s “That Familiar Feeling,” you can at this link.

Margle was nervous to do this piece, especially after a year ago, when he wrote a similar piece, on the SC Pride Parade in Columbia, which wasn’t received well. “I only did one interview, with the president of the parade, which was a mistake. A lot of people weren’t happy about it. It didn’t really say much, instead, it just sort of glazed over the issue.”

So, for the feature piece on people’s views on the climate in Columbia after the Pulse Nightclub incident, he knew he was going to do a lot of interviews. “I talked to a lot of drag queens and gay people in the area, including owners of gay bars. I really wanted to tell people’s stories. I didn’t want anyone to think that I wasn’t cut out for this. I wanted to do something active that would show people who are not involved in that scene what it was like for people who were. I was very nervous.”

Aside from writing, and editing (a lot) Margle and his team have a lot of fun. “I just like interacting with our staff. I really almost don’t like the title of being the editor in chief of G&B. I don’t want people to think, “Oh he’s the boss, he’s better than me.” It’s a very strange title to feel like I’m in charge of them, when a lot of the time, I learn from them.”

Becoming the editor-in-chief of G&B has been just as rewarding as challenging. “I saw it as a huge challenge. There’s always that time, you know when we’re two weeks out from sending it to print, and things start to fall through or not work out. The first time, I had a moment, where I was like holy shit, we have to put together 48 more pages. And then, there’s always stuff that you don’t expect- you set deadlines for deadlines to be broken. And getting everyone on the same page can sometimes be difficult, but somehow it always works out.”

Margle’s humility, candor and rugged-yet-boyish good looks catch your attention almost immediately, but his writing and sense-of-self definitely bring a different perspective to the table- one that has greatly impacted G&B.

You can find upcoming issues on The Garnet & Black on any newsrack throughout campus. 

Lexi Hill

South Carolina '18

Lexi is a senior at the University of South Carolina studying multimedia journalism. After graduation, she hopes to move to the city where she can pursue a creative career and grow old with her pet pug.