Number One Prospect A’ja Wilson Commits to USC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

The University of South Carolina is famous for dominating in football and baseball, but where the men don’t particularly shine, us women certainly do. Our Lady Gamecock basketball players KICK BUTT, and it looks like we’re about to get even better.

On April 16th, number one prospect in the espnW HoopGurlz Top 100 A’ja Wilson committed to the University of South Carolina’s women’s basketball team!  She made her announcement live on ESPNU.  Even though A’ja was offered a spot from almost every school, including Tennessee and North Carolina (which are top in the nation).  She picked the Gamecocks (smart girl!) because as a Columbia native she simply stated: “there’s really just no place like home.”

A’ja has received many awards for her amazing skills on the court, such as “National Player of the Year” by both Parade Magazine and Women’s Basketball Coaches Association, Naismith Player of the Year, and South Caroline Gatorade Player of the Year.

Obviously, Lady Gamecock coach Dawn Staley was more than happy to welcome this astounding woman onto the team: “She represents South Carolina on so many levels, and we’re so glad the entire state will see her career unfold on our campus,” she wrote on the team’s website.

With A’ja on the team, South Carolina’s recruiting class has bumped up to No. 2 in the nation.  Lady Gamecocks are almost guaranteed to have an incredible season and maybe even dominate the league!  It sure is a great day to be a Gamecock.

Kristina Zagame

South Carolina

Born and raised right outside the great city of Boston. Senior at the University of South Carolina. Major: Broadcast Journalism. Minor: Sport and Entertainment Management. Interests include traveling, storytelling, and trying to squeeze in naps. Biggest pet peeve: being told, "no." Instagram & Twitter: @kzagame GO COCKS!