My Reaction to a TFM Article that Body-Shames Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

The other day, Total Frat Move shared an article on Facebook titled “Why Girls Should Stop Wearing High-Waisted Bikinis.” The title got my attention, so I clicked on the link provided, only to become more and more disgusted as I read through each paragraph.  

Don’t get me wrong, I know everyone is entitled to his or her opinions. I mean, here I am, sharing my opinion in this article! However, as I continued to read “The Therapist’s” reasoning behind why girls should stop wearing one, specific article of clothing that displeased him, I was literally astonished. This article is a testimony to the social equality issues between men and women. Contrary to popular male belief, women don’t wake up in the morning and decide what to wear while thinking “I’m only going to wear this if it will please all of the men I encounter today.” No, we get dressed to please ourselves and we wear whatever we feel the most comfortable in.

The main points in the article that “proved” why women should stop wearing high-waisted bikinis and “get back to being cheeky” were as follows:

“They look like something our moms would wear.”

OK, and my mom is an awesome, independent woman who doesn’t give a sh*t what you think so what’s your point here? Are we seriously going to sit here and go through a woman’s wardrobe and tell her that she can’t wear something because she’s “too young” to be wearing such a thing?

“Normal girls don’t look good in them.”

I would really love to know the definition of a “normal” girl. The genius in the article describes any normal girl as somebody who isn’t a super model or a celebrity. Thank God this man could pull together all of his wisdom to tell all of the remaining girls left that they are normal and, therefore shouldn’t be wearing high-waisted bikinis. Here’s one of my favorite quotes from this paragraph, “Most college girls aren’t willing to give up their margaritas and late night pizza long enough to allow these Pull-Ups disguised as bikinis to look good.” Well, at least he knows us “college girls” love our margs because this article had me in desperate need of one (or twelve). 

“Your ass disappears in these things.”

Oh, okay! Just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse this guy is telling me my ass is gone! Thankfully all I need to do to get it back is trade in my high-waisted bikini bottoms for cheeky ones, and then all will be right with the world again. Phew!

I don’t know why guys have it drilled in their mind that everything a girl does is to get their attention. It’s turned into a terrible state of mind that has led to rape-victim shaming, body shaming, and the idea that women are here to please men. How will women ever feel comfortable in their skin if articles like this continue to be published? It should be every girl’s ultimate goal to wear whatever outfit she wants based on her beauty standards. If you’re a guy, I challenge you to think of a time you’ve ever body-shamed a woman in your life for something she chose to wear. Now, imagine a boy doing this to your 13-year-old or even 21-year-old daughter. Or even your sister. Is this how you would want somebody to treat her, leaving her to believe that she should abide by the “if you got it, flaunt it” rule?

Hopefully I’ve made my point. I guess I will go back to the kitchen and make every man I know a sandwich in my yoga pants- since that’s where I “belong”. Once again, thanks TFM for raising a generation of gentlemen

Page Buckman

South Carolina

Page is a Public Relations major at the University of South Carolina. In her free time she enjoys watching Netflix, playing with her dog, and eating mozzarella sticks.
SC Contributor

South Carolina