Meet Siobhan O’Dell: The Girl Who Took on Duke

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

As college students, we all remember the stress of application season. Who can forget the deadlines, the pressure of getting the highest test scores, writing perfect essays, and not to mention the anxiety of waiting for a decision from your top school? The disappointment of rejection is enough to leave anyone feeling defeated but some, like Siobhan O’Dell, chose to take her rejection letter from Duke University and turn it into a symbol of rebellion for college applicants everywhere.

In 2015, O’Dell received her decision from Duke and decided to respond with this letter:

After dropping the mic, she attracted crazy attention from the media and was the hero of stressed college students around the nation. Luckily for us, Siobhan is currently attending University of South Carolina instead (obviously, the best choice) and sat down with Her Campus to answer a few of our questions.

Name: Siobhan Reece O’Dell

Year: Sophomore

Major: Pre-med Biology

Hometown: Kenai, Alaska

HCSC: Why did you choose to respond to Duke’s letter?

Siobhan O’Dell: “People ask me that all the time and I’m honestly still not sure. Partially because my English class had been talking about satire for a few days, I wanted to give it a go, and I have little to no impulse control. I thought it would be funny if a high prestige university got a single letter in the same form of what they send by the thousands unsuspecting students every day. Will they get it’s a joke? Will they even read it? My guess was no to all of the above. But I knew my friends, especially those who also got rejected, would get a good laugh out of it. I sent it partially because I had already been rejected so what else was I gonna lose? I was already accepted to five other places so I wasn’t worried.”

HCSC: Any advice for those stressing about getting accepted to college/undergrad?

O’Dell: “Yes! Apply to more places than you think you need to! Do not under any circumstances put all your egg in one basket. Apply to a bare minimum of four schools I’d say. And if you get rejected from the one you really wanted turn it into a joke that 6 million people can laugh at with you.”

HCSC: So why USC?

O’Dell: “We have the best public honors college in the nation and they gave me a fat scholarship. Also, I love the campus. Even though there are thousands and thousands of us, it’s still easy to find a quiet fountain in the sun to eat my lunch by. I didn’t know it when I applied, but I’ve made the best friends of my entire life here too and I’m so glad I didn’t go to Duke.”

HCSC: What are your plans for your future here at USC?

O’Dell: “I’m going to continue as a pre-med biology student and I’d love to go to med school (no idea where yet!) and become a pediatrician.”

We’re happy to have you, Siobhan!

Reilly Tuccinard

South Carolina

Reilly Tuccinard is a University of South Carolina graduate with a love of writing, reading and learning. After spending two years as the Beauty Editor for Her Campus Media and the Editor-in-Chief of HC South Carolina, she is focusing on a career in creative strategy. Friends will tell you she's a a self-proclaimed Grey's Anatomy addict, she can't just watch a movie once and she is a firm believer in anything and everything chocolate.