This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity is Katie Rudnik, a freshman International Business, German, and Spanish major from Texas (although she has lived in several other states and countries, including Japan, Germany, and Spain) who works with an organization called Youth For Understanding.  Katie has been involved with them for many years and is doing wonderful work with them here in South Carolina now!

What is Youth For Understanding?

Youth For Understanding is a non-profit international exchange program that promotes cultural understanding by offering high school students the opportunity of a lifetime to live in a new country for a year, semester, or summer. YFU partners with more than 60 countries and from the time it was founded in 1951, it has exchanged more than 200,000 students.

What have you done with the organization so far?

In high school I studied abroad twice through YFU and hosted a Japanese exchange student for a year. I was also a volunteer at the National Pre-Departure Orientation in Chicago, but am currently volunteering here in South Carolina.

How do you hope to pursue and continue your involvement with YFU?

Currently I, along with many other dedicated volunteers, am working on expanding YFU’s presence in South Carolina. Introducing the idea of studying abroad to high school students and encouraging American families to host are two ways that this goal is being accomplished. Along with seeing the program expand in South Carolina, I am hoping to continue my involvement with YFU for many years to come.

What opportunities do fellow USC students have to get involved with YFU?

We are currently trying to expand the program here in South Carolina and are always looking for more volunteers. YFU volunteers provide support to students, families, and other volunteers in a wide variety of ways. From coordinating student orientations to making school presentations, solving issues with international students and their host families to planning social activities, there is truly a place for everyone at YFU. Whatever your interests and skills are, there is a volunteer opportunity to match them! If you would like to volunteer, or you think your family would be interested in hosting an exchange student, you can go to http://yfu-usa.org/ to find out more information.

It’s obvious that Katie has gained some really amazing and useful experiences and skills through YFU.  We are so excited for all that is in store for her in her years here at USC and after graduation. If you are interested in working with Youth For Understanding, please follow the link above—it is full of amazing opportunities!