This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

This week’s profile is K. Lee Graham, otherwise known as Miss Teen USA 2014. I asked her a few questions to see just how hard it is being a beauty queen, but also handling the stress of college and planning for a future. I know that I sure couldn’t look that good all the time, make good grades, and have time to volunteer. K. Lee gave us some inside advice about how she manages to handle it all.

Name: K. Lee Graham

Year: Sophomore

Age:19

Major: International Business and Marketing with Spanish minor

Hometown: Florence, Chapin

HCSC: Why did you choose the University of South Carolina?

Graham: “The Carolina scholars program and honors college were huge motivators in bringing me back to South Carolina. That, in addition to the international business program. I love the culture of USC and the students here. Not to mention The University of South Carolina is my Dad’s alma mater and I grew up a gamecock fan. USC just feels like home. “

HCSC: How has having the title of Miss Teen USA 2014 effected your college experience?

Graham: “It was a great experience. It has opened up a lot of doors for me outside of the entertainment industry. At USC, it has allowed me to connect with a lot of cool people and it is a great conversation starter. It has allowed me to create a lot of new friendships with people because I am a lot different than what they would expect. They realize I am a real person. I’m actually pretty weird and fun to be around, which isn’t what most people think of when they typically think pageant queen.”

HCSC: How has being Miss Teen USA 2014 helped you in college? What opportunities have you had while in college because of this?

Graham: “It was definitely something I put on my application that helped me get my scholarship. I have been given opportunities to use the skills from Miss Teen USA to make social media kind of a side business with local businesses in Columbia. This definitely has helped me to define my career goals in social media, marketing, and branding. That has helped me tailor my college experience so that I can get more of a background in that area and accomplish my long term career goals.”

HCSC: What do you plan on doing after college?

Graham: “I Plan to move back to New York and work in the Fashion industry. I want to be a Creative director for a marketing industry, or either do brand management a fashion label.”

HCSC: How has Miss Teen USA shaped you as a young adult, and what has it taught you?

Graham: “I would say that it helped me become the kind of leader and young woman that I have always wanted to be. It made me realize how many opportunities and experiences are possible if you put yourself out there, work hard, and hustle. I will say it has been hard at times, there has been a lot of pressure to live a certain way and look a certain way at all times. But I’ve learned to in those moments to be there person I want to be instead of the person the world wants me to be.”

HCSC: Would you say that competing in these pageants helped you to be a better student? Or did they distract you from your school work?

Graham: “It helped to be a better student because I learned great time management skills. I’ve learned to prioritize everything on my to do list. At the end of the day it’s not an option to not get everything done.”

HCSC: How do you think the experience that you had winning this title will help you in the future with your career and life?

Graham: “Learning how to stand firm in who I am, and not be swayed by anyone no matter who that person is. And to stick to my beliefs, my morals, instead of conforming to who society thinks I should be.”

HCSC: What clubs or volunteer activities are you involved in now that you want to continue to do in the future after college?

Graham: “Last year I contributed to every issue of Garnet and Black magazine whether it was writing or modeling. That’s something I really enjoy and want to continue to do in the future. Writing for a Fashion Magazine would be something I would be interested in. I also volunteer for an organization off-campus. It is something that is really important to me. It’s called “Girls on the Run”. Through this program I am an assistant coach at a local elementary school. We train with girls to help them run a 5k by the end of the semester. Not only do we help them with that but we also teach them life skills, how to be leaders, how to stand up for themselves and others, and about having positive self-esteem. It is sort of like a mentorship program. Since women’s empowerment is important to me, I want to always be able to do this kind of work.”

Taylor Davis

George Mason University

Reilly Tuccinard

South Carolina

Reilly Tuccinard is a University of South Carolina graduate with a love of writing, reading and learning. After spending two years as the Beauty Editor for Her Campus Media and the Editor-in-Chief of HC South Carolina, she is focusing on a career in creative strategy. Friends will tell you she's a a self-proclaimed Grey's Anatomy addict, she can't just watch a movie once and she is a firm believer in anything and everything chocolate.