How to Make Studying for Finals Less Painful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

With finals quickly approaching you’re probably thinking “FML”. In just a few short weeks, a spot in the library will be nearly impossible to find.  It will seem unbearable to function without ten cups of coffee (or Diet Coke, whatever your caffeine fix of choice), and you will probably be on the verge of ripping out your hair. However, it really doesn’t have to be this painful. Though notecards and late nights are the typical go-to cram session essentials, it may be time to try something new. This year, ace your exams differently.

1. Study outside of the library. While the library may seem like the most logical place to be, it becomes a stressful, crowded environment around finals time. Instead, take advantage of your dorm’s study room, your local Starbucks, or even the nearest park. Sometimes a change in scenery is exactly what you need to keep you focused.

2. Create acronyms. This may seem like something you would have done in middle school, but I promise you are sure to remember those bullets if you come up with some silly abbreviation for them. If a concept isn’t sticking, find a way to relate!

3. Give yourself breaks. Although it is always tempting, try your hardest not to leave a semesters worth of studying for the night before your exam. Chip away at your material little by little everyday. Study sessions as short as 20 minutes a day will increase your retention of the information. Give your brain a break and devote short periods of time to studying rather than 12-hour clumps of time!

4. Don’t seclude yourself.  Study with friends, even if they are studying something completely different. Sitting alone for long periods of time can make a person go crazy, so surround yourself with people that you can focus with while still having some fun!

Kristina Zagame

South Carolina

Born and raised right outside the great city of Boston. Senior at the University of South Carolina. Major: Broadcast Journalism. Minor: Sport and Entertainment Management. Interests include traveling, storytelling, and trying to squeeze in naps. Biggest pet peeve: being told, "no." Instagram & Twitter: @kzagame GO COCKS!