This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

It’s that time of year again. No, I’m not talking about Valentine’s Day (that’s a whole other issue). I’m talking about the season of filling out countless applications in effort to land a summer internship.

Internships provide a great opportunity to display one’s capabilities while gaining priceless experience in the workplace.

The problem? You are not the only one hoping to land your dream internship.

The solution? Make yourself stand out!

What Internship Do You Want?

This is a very important decision because where you intern will determine what you’ll gain from it. You want to choose a company that will not only help you get experience in your field of study, but will also prepare you for your future career.

So, ask yourself a few questions to determine where to apply:

Where do you want to intern?

What do you want to do?

When do you want to do it? (Summer, Fall, etc…)

The Résumé

Okay now it’s getting serious. You need a killer résumé that’s a reflection of you and everything you have to offer. This compilation of accomplishments is the only insight an employer has of your work ethic, personality and experience, so it has to be well executed. Your résumé must be organized, concise, and full of your best qualities.

In addition to educational information and work experience, make sure you include activities and skills that separate you from others.  These details are what will give you a better chance to stand out from the other applicants. You should include things like community service, organizations you’re a part of, computer skills, and any other impressive information.

Once you’ve completed your résumé, have someone read it over to ensure it’s formatted appropriately and grammatically correct. The career center is a great resource to go for help with all your résumé needs.

Kick-A** Cover Letter

A cover letter is the introduction to your resume, so think of it as a preface to a novel (and a damn good novel at that). You don’t want to give away all the details, but you want to peak the interest of your reader and make them eager to read more.  

Make your letter specific to the employer and company it is being sent to. This makes it more personal and doesn’t come off like you just recycled a letter from a different application out of laziness. Show your specific interest in them, and they will show their specific interest in you.

Recommendation Letters

In addition to your résumé, recommendation letters are a great way for an employer to know more about your personality. When choosing someone to write a recommendation letter on your behalf, consider three things:

1.     How are they related to you?

2.     How well do they know you?

3.     How well can they write?

The first question is important because you need a person who you have a good relationship with but is not biologically related to you. Having a former employer or professor write the recommendation is a great choice because they know you in your most professional state and can accurately convey how hard working you are.

The second point is equally important, as it determines how genuine and detailed the letter will be. A great recommendation will come from a person who knows you well and admires your work.

Finally, make sure the person writing your letter can actually write well. Yes, this may seem like an odd thing to consider, but do you really want someone who doesn’t know the difference between “there, their, and they’re” speaking on your behalf?  Yeah… didn’t think so.

Follow Up!

After you have sent in your application complete with an eloquent recommendation letter, a fabulous résumé, and an equally fab cover letter—you’re still not done. If you want to prove that you really want this internship, make sure you check in with the employer after about a week or so to ensure they received all of your information. Odds are they have gotten everything, but putting in the extra effort shows you are not only interested in the position, but you are seriously determined to get it.

So there you have it. As you begin the journey towards your dream internship, keep these tips in mind and hopefully you’ll find yourself to be a working gal in the near future!

Reilly Tuccinard

South Carolina

Reilly Tuccinard is a University of South Carolina graduate with a love of writing, reading and learning. After spending two years as the Beauty Editor for Her Campus Media and the Editor-in-Chief of HC South Carolina, she is focusing on a career in creative strategy. Friends will tell you she's a a self-proclaimed Grey's Anatomy addict, she can't just watch a movie once and she is a firm believer in anything and everything chocolate.