HCSC’s Weekly Read, The Girl With the Lower Back Tattoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

At HCSC, we’re focusing a lot on reading. Yes, reading books, for fun. If you aren’t sure you’re into it, check out our first article in our “Weekly Reads” column,to see why reading is the key to succeeding in college, and in life.

Trainwreck’s Amy Schumer released her memoir, The Girl With the Lower Back Tattoo, in August earlier this year, leaving the rest of us on “do not disturb” until the very last page.

If you’re not familiar with Amy Schumer, one of comedy’s leading women, then where have you been the last two years? Schumer’s award-winning show, Inside Amy Schumer has viewers laughing about sex, life and everything inbetween. But her major career moment followed the debut of the movie Trainwreck.

If you loved the witty, relatable persona Schumer portrayed in the movie, you’ll love her memoir even more. Although Schumer is well-known for her sexual persona from her TV show and movie, she reveals a multitude of other sides to her in her book.

The Girl With the Lower Back Tattoo had us roaring with laughter then  holding back tears every chapter. Schumer’s incredibly raw account of her life and career so far reminded us how important it is to not only believe in yourself, but to stand up for what you care for.

In addition to sharing personal anecdotes about her relationship with her estranged mother and father, who is suffering from multiple sclerosis, Schumer devoted part of her memoir to gun control awareness. In July of 2015, an armed assailant attacked movie-goers at a movie theater in Lafayette, Lousiana at a showing for Trainwreck.

Schumer wrote about this event, both from her perspective of how devastating it was to know that someone targeted the audience from her movie, but also from the perspective of a dedicated gun control spokeswoman.

From teaching us more about causes important to her, to sharing life lessons, Schumer’s book was captivating from the first page.

If you are looking for a read that will give you all of the feels- from love to happiness to sadness to even confusion, pick up Amy Schumer’s The Girl With the Lower Back Tattoo. If you are reading or have recently finished reading Schumer’s memoir, then shoot us an email at south-carolina@hercampus.com to tell us what you thought. You might be featured in our next column.

Lexi Hill

South Carolina '18

Lexi is a senior at the University of South Carolina studying multimedia journalism. After graduation, she hopes to move to the city where she can pursue a creative career and grow old with her pet pug.