Happiness Hunting > Husband Hunting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Forward: I am not a flaming feminist, sexist, or any of those “ist” words. I am simply a hard-working college student who loves her family, sorority, ice cream, running, watching baseball, and major, Sport/Entertainment Management. As of lately, talk around campus has revolved around the idea of “husband hunting”, the “Mrs. Degree”, and the importance of finding a husband that makes a lot of money in his career, specifically lawyers. I have been in shock. Mouth dropped open shock.

There are few things I simply cannot get over about this. Call this what you will, but I’m thinking of it as a rational, thought out, but most of all, polite (and entitled) rant. Here is why I personally object to the idea of “husband hunting:”

1. I actually hunt. Let me make this clear: I hunt animals. To me, hunting is a sport. Hunting is a passion. Hunting is a way for my dad and I to spend time together in nature. I stick to deer, duck, and turkey, however. I don’t know any society in which the hunting of people (much less “husbands”) is considered legal or even normal.
  2. We women have come so far. Why would we tear all of our progress and success down collectively by thinking that women are only good for getting married, having children, and taking care of the household when we have worked so hard to achieve equality in society?
  3. I am young. When I say young, I mean (almost) twenty. I am in a stage of my life where I am still exploring who I am, what I want to do, and how I want to achieve those things. I have goals, aspirations, hopes for the future, and let me tell you, getting a Mrs. Degree is not a part of that plan.  Getting a degree in law, on the other hand, is a part of the plan.
  4. I don’t take the easy way out of life. I want to work for the things I have. I don’t want to have to rely on or be dependent on anyone else. Men—as much as we hate to think about it—can be temporary. Whereas a career, fortunately, isn’t going to wake up and tell you it doesn’t love you anymore.

I am not bashing any female individual who aspires to be a mother and wife, and who would rather spend her days in the home than in the workplace. That is their choice and I respect that. What I am bashing is this belief that all women are good for is for finding a husband in college and signing away the rest of your life at such an early age.

What I want my baby sister, and all young women, to know is this: You are worth so much more than some girl that goes to college to get the so-called Mrs. Degree. You were born in a time where women don’t have to fight to go to school, vote, own property, or choose your own husband. Take advantage of that! You can do absolutely anything you put your mind to, and the only person that can tell you no is yourself. To the women that do aspire to obtain a Mrs. Degree, that is your own choice. I beg you however, not to paint all of us women in such a light because it further adds to the challenges we face in a male-dominated world. As women, we should build each other up, encourage one another to pursue our passions, and live up to our full potential. 

With that said, hunt for passions, not husbands, go to law school for yourself, and most importantly, celebrate your accomplishments – new goals, good grades, family and friends…and red lipstick.

Mattis Collier

South Carolina

Mattis Collier is a sophomore Sport and Entertainment Management major at the University of South Carolina. She is a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority as well as a member of Alpha Lambda Delta academic fraternity. Mattis hopes to attend law school in North Carolina once she graduates and is interested in pursuing a career in collegiate or professional sports law. She enjoys running, baseball/football games, being outside, hiking, and crafting.