Go-To Kitchen Tips Every College Cook Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

After a long day of classes and walking all over campus, cooking a meal is probably last thing you want to do. It’s just so much easier to hop in your car and grab fast food. But over time that habit can become expensive and unhealthy. While I definitely can’t claim to be a chef or nutritionist, I have been in college long enough to understand the temptation to make ramen every other night and spend money on fast food in lieu of cooking. So help the rest of the struggling collegiettes out there, I created a list of some personal tips and dishes that help me save money and eat better without devoting a large amount of time and effort.

1. Learn how to make chicken and Salmon

Chicken and salmon are both healthy and can easily be cooked in the oven. I like to spread Dijon mustard on my salmon or pesto on my chicken to add some ~flavor.~ They’re easy for novice cooks and super simple to prepare. For chicken breast just season with salt and pepper, set your oven to 425 degrees and cook for 20-25 minutes. For salmon, season the same way and bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

2. Trade fresh for frozen

I always like to have frozen fruits on hand to make a smoothie when I want a snack, but not an entire meal. My favorite combo is strawberries, banana, and peanut butter! Plus, you don’t have to worry about dumping your entire ice tray into the blender to make sure the smoothie is cold. Frozen veggies are also great for adding a healthy side to your meal (maybe paired with chicken and salmon you cook?) and they take just minutes to heat up in the microwave.  In college it’s hard enough to get a well-balanced diet/use up ingredients before they get rotten, so frozen veggies that last for a while are the best choice.

3. Invest in a Slow Cooker

If you don’t already have one, I HIGHLY suggest making a purchase. I love having a slow cooker because most recipes just require you to throw the ingredients into the pot and put on the right setting and BOOM a couple hours later you have yourself a meal. Just be careful not to make an entire pot of queso. Plus there are endless, and I mean endless recipes you can find online for this handy kitchen gadget.

4. Keep Pasta on Hand

Okay, I know this is not necessarily the healthiest option, but pasta is easy to make, cheap, and delicious. There are tons of add-ins to make it healthier, and it’s better than a bowl of ramen. Just add in your favorite veggie and protein—grilled chicken is always a good choice—and you’ll be goof to go.

5. Research Online

If you’re still thinking that it’s difficult to make a dinner that’s both easy and healthy, then there are thousands of websites and blogs online that are dedicated to creating recipes that are fast and affordable. Download the Food Network app for tons of recipe ideas, or just start a Pinterest recipe board. Chances are you’ll end up having tons of options to pick from.

Get cookin’!

Lexi Hill

South Carolina '18

Lexi is a senior at the University of South Carolina studying multimedia journalism. After graduation, she hopes to move to the city where she can pursue a creative career and grow old with her pet pug.