gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ditch the Restaurant: 5 Places You Really Want To Go for V-Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Going to a restaurant is the classic date choice for two people who want to wine, dine and probably spend way too much money on Valentine’s Day. Trust us, the wine and dine part sounds amazing, but why make a costly trip to a restaurant when you can do something much more fun? Here are a few ideas to spice up your basic Valentine’s Day date on a college student budget:

1. HiWire Trampoline Park

HiWire is a trampoline park located just 30 minutes off campus. It has over 60 connected trampolines, a dodge ball court, a foam pit and a basketball hoop where you can channel your inner Shaq. One ticket to jump is only $13, which includes access to the whole park! What could be more satisfying then dunking on your honey? It’s also a great idea to take all your friends for a GALentine’s day! For more info, check out their website.

2. Studio Cellar

Studio Cellar is a local painting studio in The Vista where no artistic skills are required. Bring your significant other and get artsy while sharing a bottle of wine and socializing with other novice painters. After the session, you’ll not only have new artwork to show off (or hide) at home, you’ll also have a great story to go with it. This is one experience that you and your S/O will remember. Studio Cellar takes reservations through their website or by phone at (803) 929-0709.

3. Take it Outside

Luckily for us in SC, the weather seems to be getting warmer (for now). So maybe spend the day of love outside at one of Columbia’s great parks and forests! Saluda Shoals is a beautiful riverfront park that has many romantic paved and unpaved trails along the Saluda River. It’s perfect for an evening stroll after a full day of Valentine’s festivities. Don’t have a car? The Horseshoe is an ideal place for an afternoon picnic if you want to save time and money.

4. Minature Golf at Frankie’s Fun Park

Did we just go back in time? Miniature golf is a great and competitive way to hang with your person. Grab a corndog and a slice of pizza (or two) and head to the exotically decorated course with your date. The plus? It’s only $8! If you’re looking for more excitement, head inside to the arcade. It’s fully equipped with laser tag, air hockey, all the other cheesy and nostalgic games you played as a kid. For more info, go to their website.

5. Skip Dinner and Go Straight to Dessert

If your love for sweets surpasses your love for savory, Columbia has the perfect places. Some of our favorite are Kaminsky’s, located in the vista, and Drip in Five Points. Both offer the perfect a romantic ambiance while still maintaining a casual feel. Kaminsky’s menu ranges from local craft beer with an ice cream sundae, to a salted caramel milkshake with a slice of bourbon pecan pie. Drip offers a range of locally roasted, delicious coffee and snacks with a laid-back atmosphere for a relaxing date on Valentine’s Day. The menus change daily so head over to these great places and what’s being offered!

When Valentine’s Day rolls around, these options are great for you and your S/O or even a group of friends. But if lying in bed with a bottle of wine and Netflix just so happens your perfect date instead…well that doesn’t sound like a bad idea either.

Haley Nelson

South Carolina

Haley Nelson is a full-time student, part-time yogi, and professional Amazon shopper. She is a South Carolina native who dreams of traveling anywhere and everywhere. Follow Haley on Instagram at @haynelsonx.
Kristina Zagame

South Carolina

Born and raised right outside the great city of Boston. Senior at the University of South Carolina. Major: Broadcast Journalism. Minor: Sport and Entertainment Management. Interests include traveling, storytelling, and trying to squeeze in naps. Biggest pet peeve: being told, "no." Instagram & Twitter: @kzagame GO COCKS!