Disaster Strikes South Carolina

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

You hear of floods, streets collapsing, dams breaking, and think it only happens in the movies. However, USC and the surrounding Columbia areas are experiencing it first hand. Along with Charleston, our beautiful city of Columbia has experienced historic rainfall that has caused severe damage. The governor of S.C. has even called this the “thousand-year rainfall.”

While the USC campus has remained intact, water was shut off for quite a while. Even though the water has since been turned back on, it is still unsafe to drink without boiling it first. However, our wonderful university president, Harris Pastides, arranged to have over 100,000 water bottles distributed on campus so that students living in dorms would not go without water, along with many porta-potties. The dining crews even worked hard to be sure on-campus students had food in Honeycomb Cafe and Bates.

While the USC campus has been lucky, others in Columbia have not been as fortunate.  Many houses, businesses, cars and streets are still under water. While the many firefighters, policemen, and the National Guard are helping, volunteers are needed. If you are a student and wish to help with relief efforts, there is a sign up form online: tinyurl.com/uscfloodvol

If you wish to donate money toward the relief, you can donate at the following sites:

United Way of the Midlands:  https://www.uway.org/news/flood-disaster-relief-fund

The American Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org/local/sc

Together, we can work to help our neighbors who were not as fortunate and we can work to rebuild our beautiful city. 

Hayley Schmitt

South Carolina

Just a University of South Carolina sophomore Public Relations major with an unhealthy obsession for Gossip Girl and mac & cheese.
Kristina Zagame

South Carolina

Born and raised right outside the great city of Boston. Senior at the University of South Carolina. Major: Broadcast Journalism. Minor: Sport and Entertainment Management. Interests include traveling, storytelling, and trying to squeeze in naps. Biggest pet peeve: being told, "no." Instagram & Twitter: @kzagame GO COCKS!