Contagious Virus Outbreak on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

The Daily Gamecock reports that there has been a series of hand, foot, and mouth disease cases affecting USC students at the Honors Residence Hall. In fact, Jordan Hammond told The Daily Gamecock that students who reside there are frightened, locking their doors and going as far as wearing face masks.

The Center for Disease Control says that this is a common illness that usually affects children; however it is possible for adults to contract it. You should be concerned if you develop a fever and/or sore throat, experience a decrease in appetite, and just overall feel sickly. If not taken care of, painful sores can develop in your mouth, as well as skin rashes on your hands and feet (it is possible for these rashes to affect your elbows, genitals, knees, etc.) So that means this is not something to take lightly.

You can contract hand, foot, and mouth disease through personal contact, airborn germs from sneezing or coughing, feces, or objects that were touched by an affected person. There is no current vaccine to prevent it or a treatment to immediately rid yourself of it, but you can lower your chances of infection by washing your hands religiously, disinfecting your belongings constantly, and avoiding close contact with anyone and everyone.

Stay safe and stay clean! Just because the concentration of the illness is centered around the Honors Residence Hall does not mean you are in the clear if you avoid that dorm. According to The Daily Gamecock, Dr. Deborah Beck, who is the executive director of student health services, says there have been five diagnosed cases at the Thompson Student Health Center. However, she also says that the amount of outbreaks isn’t abnormal for this time of year. 

Hand, foot, and mouth disease is contagious, so go the extra mile to make sure you and your belongings are germ free. If you feel you are experiencing symptoms, contact your doctor, or make an appointment with the health center.

Katie Kinslow

South Carolina

Communicator, award-winning time waster, avid Cheez-it eater, Pinterest zombie, Halloween enthusiast, passionate writer, and shopoholic who probably needs professional help. 
SC Contributor

South Carolina