Announcing, Leslie Knight: Homecoming Queen 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Here is a behind-the-scenes look at Leslie Knight, who was voted South Carolina’s 2014 Homecoming Queen by the student body this past week. Leslie is a senior Public Relations major from Clover, South Carolina, and is extremely involved on the USC campus. She is an active member of Phi Mu, her sorority, Omicron Delta Kappa, a national leadership honor society, and Alpha Lambda Delta, a national honors fraternity. In addition to those, she is also the Executive Director of Dance Marathon, as well as the President of The Cocktails Female a Cappella group! This week, Leslie took a break from her hectic schedule to sit down with Her Campus SC and answer some of our biggest questions.

So, what does it mean to you to be crowned Homecoming Queen?

“Being named Homecoming Queen is a dream come true for me.   I grew up a Gamecock fan and attended many different games, always rooting for Carolina and wishing for the day I could be a student at the University of South Carolina.  As a freshman, I attended showcase and remember thinking how much fun it would be to be in those contestants’ shoes 3 years later.  Many of the young ladies who have been crowned Homecoming Queen were exceptional leaders and role models to many throughout their collegiate careers.  It means the world to me to be able to associate myself with those who have been named Homecoming Queen before me.”

Do you think being Homecoming Queen will change your life in any way, and if so how?

“Since being crowned Homecoming Queen, some minor parts of my life have changed.  I still smile every time someone refers to me as ‘The Queen’ and I occasionally will have those ‘wow that actually happened’ moments.  On the other hand, there are parts about my life that will remain constant.  I have always tried to lead by example within my student organizations and strive to make a difference in the lives of others each day.  My love for the USC began at a young age and continues to grow with each new experience I have because of the opportunities I have received by being a Gamecock.  As someone who has overcome several difficult obstacles throughout life, being crowned Homecoming Queen only confirms to me how perseverance and hard work pays off in the end.”

What are you most passionate about?

“Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals is an organization that has a huge part of my heart and will always have a presence in my life.  The ‘FTK’ (For the Kids) phrase is one that has changed me for the better.  Through Phi Mu, Dance Marathon, and my past involvement with the Miss South Carolina Organization, I have been impacted by kids and families who have been helped by CMNH hospitals and specifically, Palmetto Health Children’s Hospital here in Columbia.  This year, USC Dance Marathon has publicized our goal of raising half a million dollars in half the time.  I feel so lucky to have found a group of students at USC who value the kids in our community and believe in USCDM’s mission.  My vision for the University in 2015 is to increase participation in our event and raise awareness to make our goal a reality for our local kids.”

What can you not live without?

“I could never survive without my family!  As much as I have loved my four years here in Columbia, nothing beats the feeling of going home to be with your family.”

What is your favorite spot on campus?

“The horseshoe is always a place on campus I enjoy going to for studying, relaxing, or just being with friends.  The horseshoe specifically is an iconic spot for many and gives a glimpse of the history found within our University.”

What is the best advice you have ever received or given?

“My favorite quote that I often share with others is one by Maya Angelou, ‘The desire to reach hearts is ambitious.  The desire to reach hearts is wise.’  This mentality is one I keep in mind when making tough decisions or handling a difficult situation.  Many of us have goals and dreams, but I believe the key to success and truly being happy is making an impact on others along the road to making those goals and dreams come true.”

Sophomore business major at USC that is guitly of laughing at her own jokes. Lover of all things fashion related and is probably online shopping right now. Other obsessions include Mexican food, Instagram, John Mayer, Kappa Kappa Gamma and traveling.