samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Advice from Empowering Women in Public Relations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

HCSC’s In Her Shoes event this past Wednesday held a panel including some remarkable South Carolina public relations professionals who gave a detailed look into their careers. Heather Cooper, Soda City PR Director; Mary Beth Brault, Group Manager of Corporate & Consumer Communications of Hamilton Beach Brands; Tracie Broom, Co-Founding Partner of Flock and Rally; and Katie Alice Walker, Founder & Owner of KAW Communications joined Her Campus SC to share insight on what it’s really to #kill it in public relations. If you’re considering pursuing a career in public relations, be sure to keep reading. 

1. Write, write, write  

A key component of public relations is writing. The women of the In Her Shoes’ public relations panel made a point to emphasize the importance of good writing techniques and skills. Tracie Broom said, “Practice writing, I cannot express how important it is to practice your writing. Keep reducing documents to practice your writing and condensing skills.” Katie Alice Walker said, “Writing is the backbone of what we do. You must be able to get your thoughts across quickly, clearly and concisely.”

2. Experience is key

Luckily, the University of South Carolina’s School of Journalism knows how crucial it is to have experience when heading into the real world looking for a career. The panelist agreed internships are extremely important to landing a job in public relations.  Katie Alice Walker said, “Internships, I can’t stress it enough. They were incredibly helpful for me. I meet people who haven’t gotten as much experience as I think they could have gotten in college.”

3. Build relationships

Networking is a huge part of any career, but for those planning to pursue a career in public relations, it’s essential. As you continue meeting experienced professionals, you’ll learn it’s not what you know but who you know. Mary Beth Brault explained, “Networking. You have to put in the time, make an impression and keep reaching out to those relationships you’ve formed.” Tracie Broom said, “Build relationships now, start making friends with people in the news – reporters and editors on social media.”

4. Social media is important

Social media isn’t just a way to connect with your friends and family, but also a way to connect with peers and potential employers. The women of PR panel each had beneficial views on the importance of social media. Mary Beth Brault said, “A brand has to participate, you have to be involved; whether it’s something good or bad or something we can engage with. You have to have a social media presence.” Heather Cooper said, “When trying to promote an event, social media is the main focus. It’s where we communicate most with our community because it’s the medium most people can be reached.” Tracie Broom stated the usefulness of social media, “Sometimes clients don’t have the budget to take the traditional route of communication with national publications; however, if the brand has regular conversations with the publication on social media you’re still building a relationship with the person behind the account.”

5. Find a mentor (or a few) and Check. Your. Work.

Having someone on your side to support you is always comforting and valuable. Whether that someone is a friend, peer or mentor. Heather Cooper said, “Get some mentors, get as much industry experience as you can, that’s what helped me.” A mentor is someone that will always offer advice, reassurance or even criticism. Cooper continued, “Gain as much knowledge as you can about the industry, you have to start at the bottom so learn everything you can about the people you’re working with and those you want to work with.” Mary Beth Brault stressed, “Make sure you check every piece of your writing, one typo on your resume, email or cover letter and I’ll know you didn’t look at it and that’s it for you.”

If you missed the In Her Shoes panel this year, you can check out articles capturing and summarizing key elements of each panel. Also, be sure to look out for next year’s In Her Shoes event presented by Her Campus South Carolina. 

Cooper Crews

South Carolina

Cooper is a senior at the University of South Carolina studying public relations. Some of her favorite things are Harry Potter, adrenaline filled adventures, being outdoors, loving on her rescue pup Charlie and binge watching Netflix. After graduation, she hopes to travel the world and find her dream job in public relations. 
Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.