6 Reasons You Miss Your Mom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

1. She’s your best friend!

Most of us go through the sad goodbye of leaving your best friend to head back to college. Sure, we hung out with them at home, told them our secrets, and asked them for advice. But who else does all of those things and more? Our moms! She’s the first one you are used to seeing in the morning and the last one before bed. She holds your hand when you are hurting and celebrates your accomplishments.  She is your biggest supporter and best friend, so yeah! It sucks to be separated!

2. A mother’s love and understanding is a lot different from the professor’s whose class I’m failing…

Nine times out of ten, when I mess up, my mom gives me a chance to make it better. When I make a 50 on my first Political Science quiz, my professor is less forgiving. Living at home with our parents, we are accustomed to their love and understanding. At college, the only “adults” around are our professors, who sometimes couldn’t care less what grade we are making. That absence of understanding that we were too tired to concentrate on that one iClicker question really makes me miss my mom sometimes (all the time).

3. Your medicine isn’t working because she didn’t hand it to you

With this ever-changing weather in the City of Dreams, we are all feeling the allergies kick in. But why isn’t my allergy medicine working the way it does when my mom gives it to me? Maybe it’s because she isn’t kissing me on the forehead and telling me it is all going to be ok…yeah, I think that’s why.

4. You text her more than you text any of your friends

Oh you thought she would be the one annoying with text messages asking how college is? Absolutely not. “Hey mom, how’s home?” “How’s my dog?” “Do you miss me?” “Can you go ahead and plan a home cooked meal for me two and a half weeks from today?” It is not easy snapping out of the daily conversations with your mother you are used to from home. She is also quite possibly the only person who enjoys hearing every detail of the lunch you just ate.

5. Am I really eating Chick Fil A again?

Do you ever wish while you are studying that you will hear, “DINNER’S READY” from the kitchen? I love having a regular chicken sandwich with no pickles and a side of waffle fries at my disposal whenever I want it, but I would kill for my mom’s cube steak right about now. There is nothing like a home cooked meal to remind you that you are loved.

6. She gets you

Are you tired of explaining to people why your favorite outfit is your robe? Or that you don’t actually mean that you’re “dying” and you are really just hungry? Your mom gets it. She understands when all you want to do is cry or dance or laugh. She can binge watch old English movies on a rainy Sunday with you even though neither of you really understand what they are saying. Your mom also understands that you miss her, because she misses you too.

To all moms of college girls: we miss you so much!! 

Emily Correll

South Carolina

Emily Correll is a sophomore Broadcast Journalism major at the University of South Carolina. She is a member of Kappa Delta and is passionate about her friends and family. Emily wishes to pursue a job in the broadcasting field after receiving her degree. She enjoys spending time with family, reading, watching Netflix and dancing embarrassingly to loud music.
Kristina Zagame

South Carolina

Born and raised right outside the great city of Boston. Senior at the University of South Carolina. Major: Broadcast Journalism. Minor: Sport and Entertainment Management. Interests include traveling, storytelling, and trying to squeeze in naps. Biggest pet peeve: being told, "no." Instagram & Twitter: @kzagame GO COCKS!