nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Types of Insurance Every College Student Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Her Campus South Carolina talked to the Director of Marketing and Public Relations at Turbeville Insurance Agency, Shannon Turbeville, and determined the top five types of insurance every college student should have. Keep reading to make sure you and your stuff are covered!

1. Renter’s Insurance 

Insurance expert, Shannon Turbeville, considers renter’s insurance a must have. Whether your landlord requires it or not, this is the best way to protect all of your belongings from the unexpected (especially Columbia’s infamous floods). “Neither your landlord or your parent’s homeowner policies will protect your stuff. So, if you want your laptop, clothes, furniture, etc. to be covered, this is the only way to do it,” says Turbeville.  

2. Car Insurance 

Turbeville says she considers car insurance a “no brainer” because it is impossible to drive your car without it! What most students don’t know is that every state has its own requirements for liability coverage. For out of state students, make sure you check with your insurance agent to see if coverages need to be increased or decreased. And, for those of you that don’t have your car with you at school, your parents may get a discount! “Have [your parents] talk to their agent too,” says Turbeville, “because parents who are saving money are much happier parents.”

3. Health Insurance 

For most of us, we can mooch off our parent’s health insurance until we’re 26, however, that’s not the case for everyone. So, it’s important to know what your options are. Turbeville gave some great insight into the world of health insurance for students, especially those looking for post-grad employment.“Did you know current personal health insurance policies range from $220 – $500 every month? This should be considered as you are interviewing for those first few jobs after college. A lower salary may not be so bad if you get full benefits. If your job doesn’t have benefits, just remember those costs are going to come out of your pocket every month,” says Turbeville. There are so many other things you could spend that money on each month, so make sure you know what you’re getting yourself into before accepting the job offer!

4. Pet Insurance 

Vet bills, food, toys – oh my! Being a dog mom has its perks, but it’s important to be realistic about the financial responsibilities of having a furry friend. Many college kids only see the fun part of owning a pet, and leave the more serious stuff for a later date. Make sure you have money set aside in case your pet gets sick or has any special circumstances. “Pet insurance policies cost around $20 a month and will help give you the extra peace of mind that you can care for your pet no matter what happens. Plus, pet insurance isn’t just for cats and dogs, some companies will even insure birds or other creatures,” says Turbeville.

5. Personal Liability 

Personal liability may be the most important insurance you can have. “Accidents happen and people become responsible for situations they never imagined,” says Turbeville, “Are you prepared to face the costs for those actions?” Personal Liability is an easy way to keep yourself covered for the craziest parts of your life and give you peace of mind as you enjoy all that college life has to offer!  

With over 25 years of experience, Turbeville Insurance Agency is a full service Independent Insurance Agency with locations all over South Carolina. Recognized by the South Carolina’s Chamber of Commerce as one of the top 100 Privately Owned Businesses in 2016 and 2017, Turbeville Insurance Agency specializes in finding customers the best rates available in the ever-changing insurance marketplace. Whether it is commercial or personal insurance, Turbeville has dedicated and experienced staff available to meet all clients’ needs. Turbeville Insurance was founded in 1991 by former USC student William (Bill) Turbeville, Jr. He is a proud alumni of Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity and currently employs 16 USC graduates. Go Gamecocks!

To learn more about starting your own policies, be sure to check out their website

Becca Brennan

South Carolina

.
Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.